CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Help with getting the title in my name!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha that would put you right back in the same boat. but the only problem with that is if you move everything back over the engine vin would still match the old bike.. and no one will buy the frame if you dont have the title for the old one :/ Im pretty sure notarizing anything that isnt signed or what have you a felony anywhere. for the cost and time of switching the stuff you might as well drive back to the persons house. or if you have family outa state try giving it to them and having them get the other title

Old 05-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you lived in Maine ......any bike over 16 years old does not need a title to be
registered ! ........ wonder if your State is similar ?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by karl10250
haha that would put you right back in the same boat. but the only problem with that is if you move everything back over the engine vin would still match the old bike.. and no one will buy the frame if you dont have the title for the old one :/ Im pretty sure notarizing anything that isnt signed or what have you a felony anywhere. for the cost and time of switching the stuff you might as well drive back to the persons house. or if you have family outa state try giving it to them and having them get the other title
Engine VIN doesn't match the frame VIN on most bikes anyway. The engine code just tells you what year of bike the engine was installed into originally. DMV doesn't care if the frame has the original motor or not in it, they just need him to prove that he owns whatever frame he is trying to register. State inspection makes sure that the bike is road-worthy. Neither will ever check the engine code.

I see used frames sell on ebay w/ no paperwork, there's lots of F2/F3 race bikes still on tracks that take tumbles and the owners want to piece em back together.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
If you lived in Maine ......any bike over 16 years old does not need a title to be
registered ! ........ wonder if your State is similar ?
In Louisiana if a vehicle is 25 years old, you can register it and get a title for it using what they call "good faith possession". Basically you say that the vehicle is "abandoned" and hasn't been registered anywhere in 3 years (DMV does check that), fill out a form, you're registered that day, and your title comes in the mail within a week. I just got clear title to an old Yamaha XS650 that way.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM

Well I'm looking for some law that is similar to that but I cant really find anything. Everyone at my local court office are idiots and like 65 years old so they only know what went on in like the 80's.

I found a frame on ebay that the dude had the title notarized and everything but he had sold it before I could buy it. But thats the kind of deal I'm looking for. Other than going about it that way, I dont really know what else I can do. Unless I can find some law about the motorcycle being as old as it is and not having to have the title to register it.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:38 PM

looks like you might be better off calling your county clerk - or maybe the state office for MVT - MVL.ky.gov - County Clerks

Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Do you think things would be easier if I just said I didnt have a title?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM

At this point - you might be best off trying to claim the bike as abandoned property, regardless of how it came into your possession.

Kentucky Abandoned Property

Might actually just take a lawyer a little effort to claim the vehicle as abandoned property after due dilligence to contact the legal owner (the certified letter you sent with no reply), then the court would award you possession. With the court recognizing you as the rightful owner, the DMV should be able to issue you a title.

I'm no expert - but this kinda makes sense. Work like this is nothing for a lawyer's office, and should run you as much as you're looking at for a new frame.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM

It sucks that there aren't more rules out there for people who want to legally register a vehicle, pay taxes on it, and contribute to the system rightfully. Otherwise that vehicle would just sit unused, or be used illegally with no insurance, no registration etc...

Makes you think about the sheer number of vehicles running the streets with you every day that probably aren't legal.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Alright, I'll definitely be looking into this and calling a few lawyers. See what they think I should do.
My dad was saying that he pays so much every month to have like so many hours of lawyer service for him so maybe that will be able to help out. thanks for the help man.
Hopefully I can get this all straightened out.