CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Did I blow my head gasket?

Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I blow my head gasket?

So i finshed my streetfighter cbr f2 project the other day and i start it up and let it idle for the longest time since i baught it about 30 minutes. After i killed all power to the bike while it was running i noticed a little steam coming from the raidator which i though might just be the fact that it hasnt ran in 6 months and the fact that i just filled it so i thought it was purging air sucking in water, So after it sat for a little i hear a bubling sound coming from the bike, I pull the tank to discover radiator fluid coming up threw my carbs. So I assume that the prevois owner blew the head gasket during his crash or later start up but im not sure i was wondering if there could be anyother explanation before i rip the head off a bike i finally got assembeld in time for season.
-Any idea would be appriciated
-Thank You

Old 05-03-2011, 07:33 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Weird!
Is the coolant coming out of all of the carbs or just one or two?
Did you take the airbox off to actually see this happening?
Is the valve in the radiator cap working correctly (allowing expanded coolant to flow out into the reserve tank)?
It sounds like the head gasket is suspect. Be very caeful starting her up again in case you have a cylinder full of coolant.
I'd remove the pugs and crank her over to be sure. If you've got water coming out of the plug holes then your question is answered?

Old 05-03-2011, 10:12 PM

It was leaking across all four cylinders which is the only reason i question it. I dont think its craked block becouse it ran well so i guess il prob drop the motor thursday and have a look then replace what evers needed.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

At least have a look under the cam cover before you go the whole hog and drop the lump. It may shed some light on a more specific problem.
You should also be able to get the head off with the engine in the frame. If it's just the head gasket and perhaps an overhaul of the head in general while you've got it off then it will save you a lot of time.
Good luck. Do let us know what you find please. Threads like this need conclusion, for future information.