CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Help with getting the title in my name!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I have is a bill of sale from the guy that sold it to me, which was the previous owner, not the actual owner according to the title.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:31 AM

Dont know if your state is the same as mine, but in your case, with no chance of getting the title notorized, the only alternative is to get a bonded title. Here, if the value of the vehicle is under $500 it usually doesnt cost much of anything. A call to the registration bureau can verify this. Good luck.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:49 PM

I'll definerely look into this. I have mailed a letter to the address of the owner accoding to the title. Any day now I should either:

A- Hear back from the owner
B- Get the mailed letter returned back to my mail box

If neither of these happen by the end of this week, Ill take everything up there and talk to them about getting a bonded title.

So thanks for the advice and I'll keep an update on how it goes.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM

The state DMV generally has a way to go about transferring a title like this. They call it abandoned property sometimes. In this case, I would call the local PD and ask what can be done. They may be able to help you out by locating the person to find out if it was stolen, etc. When they do this, they may ask this person if it is ok to give you the current contact info.

I'm not getting good vibes from this. Always make sure the title is notarized. It can be done in any bank or DMV location for a few bucks or less.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 PM

Yeah I'm really new to all this transferring title notarizing stuff. It really sucks because it's keeping me from being able to ride. I didn't receive anything back from the adress and it's been two weeks so I'm going up there tomorrow to see what can be done. I've got a delivery conformation number too so I can show proof that o sent the letter and that they (whoever it is) actually received it. Hopefully I'll get this straightened out. Never again will buy something like this.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:43 PM

Well no luck trying to get a "Bonded Title". In KY they do not offer bonded titles so I'm out of luck.

The only option I have now is to buy a new frame with a title and just change everything off my bike onto the new frame with the title.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They don't do em in Louisiana either, but they do In Mississippi - got family in a state where bonded titles are done? They do the bonded title in their state in their name, then transfer it over to you once the process is complete.

Isn't it amazing how many craigslist ads you see that state "I don't have a title, but I'll sign a bill of sale so you can go get it put in your name, no problems." or the title scenario you run into where the title in question isn't in the name of the seller? I see this stuff all the time, and there is virtually no way that only having a bill of sale is going to get you a title from the local DMV.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:56 AM

What about state sales tax? If the person you buy from has never registered the bike and gotten a title in his name, that means he never paid sales tax. Won't the state require that he settles up?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Timr
What about state sales tax? If the person you buy from has never registered the bike and gotten a title in his name, that means he never paid sales tax. Won't the state require that he settles up?
In a situation where the title has been legally signed over (ie: notarized) - from one owner to another owner, and that new owner never registered the bike, then tries to sell it to a new person, yes the new person would be hit with what is usually called a double transfer when the 3rd owner tries registering it.

The title can be signed over an notarized, but you don't necessarily have to register the bike with the DMV. In most states you are legally supposed to register a movable within 15-30 days, or you have to pay penalties when you do finally register it. Again - this would be another cost the newest owner would have to pay - unless part of the purchase agreement is that the current owner pays their half of the registration costs, or at least backs that much out of the purchase price of the bike.

I still say if you have connections to a notary that will help you out - you could make this work.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm just worried about getting in trouble. What are the consequences of getting in trouble about having a notary sign this without the actual signer present?

I know someone who will do it but I am just very hesitant about do it.. But its either this or my only other option being to buy a frame and transfer everything which I really, really do not want to do.

Quick Reply: Help with getting the title in my name!!!