CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Fuel delivery problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jimmy, have you been able to start the engine overhaul yet? I'm curious about your budget for this engine -- how much do you have in it so far, and what do you expect to spend before it runs well?

Anyway, today I debugged the fan circuit. It was simpler than I thought. I was initially confused by the fact that the connector for the fan was getting no voltage. That's weird, I though -- what's the point of a connector with two grounds? Mysteriously, when I went to check if the fuse had somehow blown, there was no fuse box on the bracket where the pictures had shown me it should be. Luckily for me, nothing was hacked up; the fuse box was "hiding" up under the instrument cluster. All the connectors appeared to be out of their original places too, just stuffed in that small area. So if anyone has an image of the orientations of all the connectors on that steel bracket, let me know! Anyway, I relocated the fuse box and sure enough the fan fuse had blown. Put a new one in and had the glorious 12 volts again.

I tested the thermoswitch, and unfortunately that failed the test. I'm waiting to hear whether I can buy any old CBR switch, or if it needs to be specifically an F2 one. Ebay will hook me up for about $15. Anyway, I drew a quick diagram of the fan circuit if it helps anyone. It's pretty simple -- the fan runs off the 12volts supplied by the overhead connector. It is normally an open circuit but when the coolant gets hot enough, the switch makes continuity, supplying the motor with the voltage. Here's the diagram:

Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Engine:

-New bottom end bearings: $112 (for mains and big end rod bearing)
-New set of connecting rods: $30, ebay
-Gasket material: $6
-Manual APE CCT: $49, ebay
-New (used) crank: $65, ebay
-New (used) piston: $10, ebay
-HondaBond sealant: $12

...there will be a build thread. "How to make a F2 engine from a pile of parts."

I have my wires routed in their perfect factory locations and will share some photography when my house mate returns from a raging house party with his digital camera.

I've saved your radiator fan picture forever. I tested mine, and it switches when I put it in super hot water, so all I have to do is connect the two fan wires and the switch plug.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:27 AM

Excellent, wiring pictures welcomed. Mine is a mess, but at least nothing is cut. That would be a major problem.

Maybe tomorrow around lunchtime when your house mate has slept off the previous night you will be able to take the pictures. I usually try and do my bike work during the day to keep the evenings free

Wow, around $300. Hopefully the rest of your bike is pretty solid so engine work is the only thing you have to do? I know fairing work can be absurdly expensive... ugh.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 AM

So anyway... Good story. I was like "Yeah! I'll just post up these pics and he'll be good!" Then, I looked at the pictures and realized that there were lots of wires. There's a huge amount of wires. Best of luck sir.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:36 AM

Yup, pictures 1 and 4 nailed it. Honda built that convenient "connector rack" and it'd be nice to put everything back where it came from. OK, I'm now in debt to you about 6 pictures. Damn.