CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Pod filters re-jetting and advanced timing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pod filters re-jetting and advanced timing?

Hey guys ive heard that you cant install pod filters on an f2. If you ca im aware that you must make a part to adapt the filters to the carbs. I hve seen on factory pros website the 3.0 jet kit says something anout an airbox mod or individual filters anyone know about this. I plan on putting a timing advance on he bike and a custom exhaust so re-jetting will be required but i ant to do the pod filters also. I know that if it is possible they are hard to tune and i can make time to tune it. Any input would be great. I now yall will probably say this stuff is not worth it and that is not my question the question is. Is ir possible no negative input like im a jackass or **** like that just wondering if anyone has done any of this and what it requires to do so. Thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 12:50 PM

I'll just say what I know here: I know that the Honda airbox is designed to provide a smooth transition of power across the board. They put a hecka' lotta' time into designing that thing, so I've elected to keep mine.

Either way, I think it would be possible to do pod filters. All you'd have to do is get a plate of aluminum or something that spanned across all the carbs/airbox mounting holes, holesaw four holes in it slightly bigger than the throat of the carb, and then weld tubes into the holes for the pod filters to clamp onto. The carbs have little o-rings that seal up to the airbox, so that's already taken care of. You'd just have to drill the mount holes for the adapter to bolt to the carbs like the stock airbox bolts to them.

The only things I'd be really really worried about is that doing this fools with the velocity stack length Honda has put lots of time into in order to squeeze the very last bit of raging horsepower out of the motor. Also, there might be different airflow to each carb through seperate filter elements, depending on their cleanliness and manufacturing differences and how they were oiled. There's a stark difference between "hard to tune" and "impossibly inconsistent and unjustifiably pesky." This also takes away the resonant nature of the chambers of the airbox, which I kinda think may have been put there for a reason. It comes down to this: If there is a performance increase with pod filters, it would be very hard to realize it without a few different styles and velocity stack lengths to experiment with, and once that performance increase was achieved, variations on how the filters dirtied, how they were maintained, and how air was delivered to them due to the flow of air over the bike at different speeds would make the said increase very hard to keep in order.

I'm not going to say "don't go for it" but that's what you're working with the way I see it. I know it has been done without horribly detrimental results. I know a guy who put a R1 motor in a Yamaha Raptor, and he had a pod filter setup that he loved, but it took him about 20 dyno pulls and months of tuning to get right. It was a freakin' dirt rocket, but he deserved it after the work he did.

Last edited by JimmyHoffa; 10-24-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by dustinjklee
Hey guys ive heard that you cant install pod filters on an f2. If you ca im aware that you must make a part to adapt the filters to the carbs. I hve seen on factory pros website the 3.0 jet kit says something anout an airbox mod or individual filters anyone know about this. I plan on putting a timing advance on he bike and a custom exhaust so re-jetting will be required but i ant to do the pod filters also. I know that if it is possible they are hard to tune and i can make time to tune it. Any input would be great. I now yall will probably say this stuff is not worth it and that is not my question the question is. Is ir possible no negative input like im a jackass or **** like that just wondering if anyone has done any of this and what it requires to do so. Thanks
Hey Dustin, a few weeks back i was having issues with my airbox and i did a search for "airbox" in titles only on all available forums here. One of the many i had to look through had a guy that bought a bike set up that way (unknowingly) and i think he got some help with tuning it. Try a search like that, it will take some time to find the post but its in there someplace :P

Blake

Old 10-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
I'll just say what I know here: I know that the Honda airbox is designed to provide a smooth transition of power across the board. They put a hecka' lotta' time into designing that thing, so I've elected to keep mine.

Either way, I think it would be possible to do pod filters. All you'd have to do is get a plate of aluminum or something that spanned across all the carbs/airbox mounting holes, holesaw four holes in it slightly bigger than the throat of the carb, and then weld tubes into the holes for the pod filters to clamp onto. The carbs have little o-rings that seal up to the airbox, so that's already taken care of. You'd just have to drill the mount holes for the adapter to bolt to the carbs like the stock airbox bolts to them.

The only things I'd be really really worried about is that doing this fools with the velocity stack length Honda has put lots of time into in order to squeeze the very last bit of raging horsepower out of the motor. Also, there might be different airflow to each carb through seperate filter elements, depending on their cleanliness and manufacturing differences and how they were oiled. There's a stark difference between "hard to tune" and "impossibly inconsistent and unjustifiably pesky." This also takes away the resonant nature of the chambers of the airbox, which I kinda think may have been put there for a reason. It comes down to this: If there is a performance increase with pod filters, it would be very hard to realize it without a few different styles and velocity stack lengths to experiment with, and once that performance increase was achieved, variations on how the filters dirtied, how they were maintained, and how air was delivered to them due to the flow of air over the bike at different speeds would make the said increase very hard to keep in order.

I'm not going to say "don't go for it" but that's what you're working with the way I see it. I know it has been done without horribly detrimental results. I know a guy who put a R1 motor in a Yamaha Raptor, and he had a pod filter setup that he loved, but it took him about 20 dyno pulls and months of tuning to get right. It was a freakin' dirt rocket, but he deserved it after the work he did.
+1 you'd spend alot of time+dough trying to get it right. all for probly a few hp up top.