CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Doesn't want to start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doesn't want to start...

Hey guys, as everyone knows my bike was in the process of a rebuild. I got everything on. But now, that everything is on, she doesn't want to start. She turns, but doesn't start or even atleast kick. Keep in mind, the bike before the tear down ran perfectly fine. Started with half a crank with no problem. I checked the tank, crystal clean. If I have gas, then what areas should I be looking at as for the spark? Regulator reticifier? I didn't miss any connections and I doubt my coils are bad. I tried jumping a spark from one of the the plugs to the chassis (kinda a bad idea but I was lazy) and there wasn't any spark from what I could tell that was jumping. Any input would help. Tomorrow when I get more rest, I'm going to do more than looking troubleshooting. Thanks.

-Jasper

Old 02-15-2008, 10:31 PM
Default RE: Doesn't want to start...

I had this problem once....my bike ran perfectly one day...and later that day wouldnt start for the life of me....turns out a float valve in one of the carbs was stuck open with flooded my engine and fouled my brand new plugs...so I took out all the plugs and cleaned them...left them out over night to try to help it unflood itself....and then put them in and it started right up.....i just have to turn my gas off when the bike sits for a while.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:02 PM

well good news is it can only be one of three things
[ul][*]electrical[*]mechanical[*]or gas[/ul]check and see if you have a good charge on the battery

Old 02-15-2008, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Dj_Squatch

I had this problem once....my bike ran perfectly one day...and later that day wouldnt start for the life of me....turns out a float valve in one of the carbs was stuck open with flooded my engine and fouled my brand new plugs...so I took out all the plugs and cleaned them...left them out over night to try to help it unflood itself....and then put them in and it started right up.....i just have to turn my gas off when the bike sits for a while.
Hey Dj_Squatch, I'll try cleaning out my plugs. Keep in mind, the whole time she was sitting, the tank was off from the motor. I just connected the tank/put on the tank on today. But I'll try that. Worth a try. I'll let you know.

ORIGINAL: rider0033

well good news is it can only be one of three things [ul][*]electrical[*]mechanical[*]or gas[/ul]check and see if you have a good charge on the battery
Hey Rider, eletrical is my best guess. I just cleaned the tank and put new gas in it, so the gas is eliminated. As for mechanical, the bike ran perfectly fine plus I cleaned the carbs when they were out. Put every single wire where it should be, but it could be eletrical related. What controls the igniter coils? Or better yet, is their a relay/fuse for them?

-Jasper

Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 PM

I beleive there is...don't have any experience with it but if I remember correctly its near the battery tray.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:09 AM

just to clarify, you said that you weren't getting spark? You mentioned that you pulled a plug and grounded it against the engine to see if it sparked, is that correct? Because if you have no spark then the problem is pretty obvious. Though I probably would have narrowed it down to electrical for the other reasons you stated.
I would check the dumb stuff first. Make sure your killswitch isn't on or isn't functioning properly. Maybe the kickstand switch, but then it should still start in neutral. hmm.
The coils are located underneath the airbox. I'm also not sure where the relay or fuse is for those, but I imagine you can follow any leads to it.
if you don't have it already, pick up the service manual here: http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...e%20Manual.pdf

Old 02-17-2008, 12:45 AM

check yout ignition pulse generator (yellow wire in white/yellow out)

and check that the ignition control module is getting power and a ground

also check your main fuse (30a) and the two other fuses (10a)
main fuse red wire in and red wire out
10a fuse 1 red/black wire in black/brown wire out
10a fuse 2 red/black wire in and black wire out

and on hondas green is always ground

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM

Hey rider, thanks for the support. I figured out the problem. As dj_ mentioned earlier (first post) the spark plugs were fouled. Too gone to be saved. So I bought new ones from the dealer. (Thanks dj!) Slapped them on and she started up. I missed her sound... I haven't heard her growl for about 5 months now. I can't wait to ride her but I'm still missing a fairing stay, and rubber mount piece for the lower part of the gas tank. Here's a mircrofiche of what I'm needing. (for the rubber part). If anyone has an extra piece, please let me have it!

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/...roup/FUEL_TANK
Its #27 in the picture. Thanks!