CBR 954RR 2002 - 2003 - CBR 954RR Forum

:( She doesn't like to start

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default :( She doesn't like to start

Maybe one of you can help? Figured out it's not the battery, because I replaced that, and it's still doing the same thing. On a long ride, I have no problem at all, but after a short ride.. like from home to the closest gas station or to the grocery store around the corner, I won't be able to restart the bike, because the battery doesn't have enough power to start the bike. Any ideas?

The boyfriend was thinking that I need to go through the wiring to make sure something isn't loose or disconnected, but before I do that, I wanted your input.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:08 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Have you checked the battery voltage when it doesnt want to start? Curious if its actually a voltage issue or it just seems like it.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Well, this happened with the old battery, and they thought it might be the battery, which is why I bought the new one, and it's still having the issue. They tested the battery at the shop before giving it to me, so I know the battery was good at that point. I haven't tested it while starting the bike, though.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The whole long ride is ok, short ride dies, is throwing me a bit of a blank. Usually,
it will be the other way around. Your guy's on the right track though. Here's a
quick guide to give you some method to it.

Inspect the entire wiring harness. Look for frayed/worn/rubs etc. Grab a can of
contact-cleaner and di-electric grease. Pull each connector in turn and clean/pack
them after an inspection looking for frays/burnt-pins/melted-warped plastic. If you
find any bad/marginal connectors, check what-ever they connected to, for any possible
issues. Double eyeballs on the r/r, these are a known issue. Don't neglect inspecting
the switches, either. Fix/re-run any botched previous modifications to the harness.
The harness is a crucial, oft-neglected system and cheap on the pocket-book, if you
do this one. Throw a couple of extra fuses under the seat, while you're there.

It took me about 4 hours to work from one end to the other on a F3. I just put it on a
stand, pulled the panels and seat and dropped the front cowl. Grabbed a stool,
started at the battery and worked forward and back from there. Your milage will vary,
depending on what you find.

There's a chance it's the regulator/rectifier (a known issue), but your symptoms are a
little wierd for that. Possibly the stator has a heat-related fault, again, not the usual
indicators for it, though. On the off chance, here's a how-to/run-through for r/r and
charging diagnostics....

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Those are both pretty clear, concise threads and have helped numerous folks
solve their issues.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Take a voltage reading when it does it. The battery is good and new, but we need to see if its actually low on voltage and being drained of if something else is making it appear that way.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Alright! I'll get to the diagnosis later today. I just don't wanna do it. Laziness is contributing to that, but the will to ride is much greater than my lazy factor. Haha.

Thanks for the input, guys. I'll let you know what I find.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So on short rides, the bike will not restart. Does it turn over but not actually start or does it not even want to turn over? What tempature does the bike get too on those short rides? The reason I ask is because I had an starting issue a while back that would happen more with around town riding than on long rides. My bike would not want to start when it reached temps of 216 or higher. The starter would turn over but a slower speed than normal. This wasnt very noticeable but I was finally able to find someone with a similar issue. There is something up with some of the starters installed on the 954 that causes them not to work properly once they reached a certain temp. I had to replace mine and haven't had the issue since. Just something else to think about.

Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 PM

Yea, it turns over, but it won't start. It's almost as if the battery is super low. I'll go to start it, and it won't and after maybe... eh.. 3 tries, the battery starts to go dead. Weird, right?

Thinking about it, though, you might be spot on. I'm not sure, because I haven't paid too much attention to the temp going from here to the grocery [literally right behind my place]. She does like to get hot when I'm moving pretty slow, though, so that might be a REALLY good possibility.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-954rr...oblems-125878/

That's the link to the thread I started about it, hope it helps. Let us know what you find to be the problem.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM

Where'd you find your starter at? I'm gonna try that route. My bike also starts when it's push started.

BTW, what gear did you push start yours in??

Quick Reply: :( She doesn't like to start