CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

carbs need cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carbs need cleaning

Alright, I have a '92 F2, I just dropped $450 on it yesturday by getting an ignition switch, a regulator and some odds and ends. the guy told me that i still needed my carbs cleaned for it to run correctly. He said that he would charge $240 to do it. I am flat broke as of yesturday. my truck is broke down so i cant drive it back and forth to work. I found a youtube video on here lastnight with pretty detailed instructions on how to clean the carbs. would it be wise for me to try and do it to save money? Would it mess up the syncronization of the carbs? or do i just need to hitch hike to work till i can get up some more money?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM

cleaning the carbs yourself is pretty easy. I'm thinking you have to take them to a shop to get them synced if you don't have the right tools. I'm in the middle of this right now, and its pretty easy. the hard part is getting the carbs off the bike. what i did was:

take off the float bowls, remove the floats and the attached valve. remove the main jet (the one in the middle with a screw driver slot), and the idle jet the other one with a screw driver slow next to it). soak the jets in carb cleaner. Also take everything off the other side, the cover is spring loaded so be careful. Remove everthing plastic, be careful when pulling out the slide, that needle can get bent. put all that stuff to the side, you don't want to get carb cleaner on it. Then while your soaking the jets, spray carb cleaner through all those little passways and make sure nothing is obstucted. Then clean out the bowls themselves and the bodies. I used to tooth brush on some of the stuff. After the jets have soaked for 15 minutes or so, take them out of the carb cleaner and spray some more cleaner through them making sure you get a nice stream out the other side. blow out anything remaining with air, and give them a look. You should see daylight on the other side, a nice round whole about the size of fishing line. After that put everthing back together.

This is the point that i'm at. I'm by no means an expert--this is my first time doing this service and is just based on my readings here and on other forums. To be honest i don't know what to do now. Once the carbs are back on the bike i guess i'm going to take it to the local shop and ask them to sync the carbs and most likely get a dyno tune at the same time to make sure the previous owners jet kit is actually working correctly. If anyone could shed some light from this point forward, or correct anything that i said that is wrong i would aprecate it.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:58 PM

aight thx! how much would you think someone might charge to sync the carbs?

Old 06-09-2009, 04:35 PM

I’m hoping a lot cheaper then cleaning them and syncing them. To clean them you have to get them off the bike and then take some things apart. again, it’s not hard, but in shop terms that’s a lot of hours. To sync them they just have to hook up some vacuum gauges. I wouldn't think it could be more than 2 hours labor just to sync, but I’m totally guessing.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Default syncing easy

I did it a little while ago and it was easy. I used this as a reference
http://www.musclecross.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=113
for the carb sync. Also, use
this,
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2-16/carb-sync-question-93272/

There are three screws that needed to be adjusted. There is a detailed breakdown of the carbs in the how to section under carb cleaning. It also shows the three adjustment screws. The carbs will probably come with two vacuum tubes attached, (1 will be attached to the vacuum line that runs to the petcock(the little hose), #2 will have nothing attached and should have a black cap on it, #3 and 4 have screws. I hope this is being read and understood right now, as in you have read up on this cuz I am writing this kind of vague. You will need to hook up a purchased carb synching tool or a hand made one like i did.

I would also suggest going to a motorcycle store or dealership and purchase 2 #2 carb vacuum tubes and Rubber stoppers so that you can make the hoses attach to the carbs

Crack the throttle a couple of times when synchronizing each carb,sync carbs 1 and 2, first, 3 and 4 second, and 2 and 3 last.

Sorry, really late at night, hope I am not jumping all over the place, hard to explain. Just really need to look at the carbs to understand what I am saying.