CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

brake pads weld themselves to my rortors

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pads weld themselves to my rortors

Hello everyone...I replaced my stock honda rotors with EBC's and fitted reconditioned calipers that had pads already fitted, they looked a copper/bronze colour and had no slot down the middle like the typical pads I have used in the past. After a couple of days without use the wheel refuses to turn and the bike is difficult to get off the centre stand because the front wheel is locked solideven though its winter in the UK and my bike is outside (covered with a good cover) I have never had this happen on any other bike I have owned. Once I have bumped the bike off its stand the wheel turns although its stiff but the pads leave a mark on the rotor where thethey have been in contact with the disc. The calipers have not siezed and once on the road the brakes are good enough to lock the front wheel and do stoppies...the wheel spins freely by hand after a few yards riding but will be locked solid again a couple of days later...do sintered pads do this?...special pads for track use only???? any ideas folks?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM
Default RE: brake pads weld themselves to my rortors

You got me on this one, the only wisdomw I can share is to check and make sure the rotors you have are compatible with the pads. I hadEBC rotors on my F4, and someone gave me some EBC "kit" brakes pads. Within a couple hundred feet of riding you could not turn the front wheel at all. Turns out the the kit pads were made to run with stock rotors, which are made of a harder material than the EBC discs I had.The kit pads were biting into the softer rotors as things expanded slightly with the little bit of friction heat from riding the bike, causing a near lock up.

I guess I'd also make sure your brakes are bled out completely, air in brakes lines can do wierd things.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:22 PM

thanks for the fast reply racer212.....Hmmmm...I am stumped also with this one, the disc is virtually brand new to look at after about 500 miles with these pads..no scoring and the braking power is phenominal for an f2 (compared to a mates f2) the brake lever needs 2 fingers to have the front end diving and I have bled the brake lines (goodridge). It is only the fact that the pads literally stick to the disc after only 2 days of non use that puzzles me. I have just bought some replacement kevlar EBC pads ( that look more 'standard' with the slot down the centre of the pad)...I will fit them at the weekend and see if the problem goes away.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:33 PM

You said its winter in your area, that makes me think first of all, its possible that your pads are freezing to the rotor, which isnt unlikely. cold plus brakes= frozen brakes.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 AM

EBC rotors are high ductile iron. Copper looking pads...probably an HH sintered pad - "sintered" means they are made out of a metal powder blend. So, virtually any moisture will causerusting...and if the pads and rotors are touching, the rust (which is actually an oxide) will bond the two. Winter time in the UK, I would be the humidity is80-95% all the time.

So, while iron is cheaper than stainless, and offers better braking performance, this is why the OEM's use a stainless steel to make bike rotors.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:46 AM

thanks for the replies folks....I am fitting new kevlar pads this weekend (18th feb) and I will post my findings if anyone is interested................................thanks again.................................dave h

Old 02-18-2007, 11:25 PM

That should help. You will probably still get rusting where the pad is, but it shouldn't be as bad, and it shouldn't stick as hard. If you want to get back the high "bite" of a racing pad, you can look at carbon ceramic's....though you still need to check the iron rotor compatibility.