CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

bolts in the block suck!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bolts in the block suck!!

well today i was workin on my bike and was puttin on a 2 bros. racing exhaust. and when i was takin the nuts off of the studs that hold the header flange to the engine block, 3 of them twisted off and broke!! and now i cant get them out of the engine block!! i tried heating and lubing and heating and lubing, didn't work!! now i think might have to try and drill em out! anyone ever had this problem before? and what did you do??

Old 03-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Default RE: bolts in the block suck!!

Ya I have a similar problem I was working on it for a while then I realized I should stop before I went completely insane. It was only one bolt for me so I was able to tighten my header without it. But it sounds like you already tried what i was told to do, heat it and try to get it out. If there is a little bit of bolt sticking out and you can get to a welder, i heard it works to weld a nut to the end of the broken bolt then just unscrew it. I dunno if it will work on these heavy duty bolts in our engines though (it should just heat the area around the bolt before u go to unscrew it is what i would suggest). Also if there is some thread there you should be able to out on 2 nuts so that when you go to turn the bottom one left the top one does not budge (i think what you do is put one nut on backwards then the top nut goes on regular, so when you turn the bottom one the top one doesnt move). you can Google it for more specifics of the process. But I am about to try rethreading once i have enough money to get a new exhaust I will try to do it, but let me know how it goes if you try it. O and dont try an easyout. one of those snapped in my bolt and they are really really hard to drill through. (and titanium tiped drill bit worked better for me)

Old 03-19-2007, 11:00 AM

yeah but mine had enough were i could get a vice-grips on it and back it out.. i would just keep stepping up drill bits and drill the bolt out, and run a tap through it.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:31 AM

yeah i have about an inch of bolt still sticking out of the block and i've tried visegrips and they cant grip it good. and someone told me to try a pipe wrench, but that didn't work either! Nothing is working!! its starting to get way too aggrevating for me!!! [sm=headbang.gif] but next i think i'm gonna try to weld a nut on and see if that will break the bolt loose! thanks for the idea ThisIsMickey!!