CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

battery? bike itself?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery? bike itself?

What's up guys, I got a good question I've been wanting.to know
. My bike this mornig didn't start now my mechanic took apart the switch fhat has the choke cable and ever sice he put it bak together I guess hedidnt properly didn't put the choke cable tight wnough or WHAT but I went to start my bike this morning amd nothig but it trying to start, then eventually the batter just started dying out.. then now ts jut clicks. I'm going to try again when I get home but could it be the battery or the choke cable not properly put on? Or the starter relay or whatever its calledm te bike made a click noise egery time. Or could iteven be the spark plug??

Sorrt for the typos I'm doing this from my phone and alf my screen is white from me dropping it.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 AM

Amother thing, I told my mecahnic that when I ride.. sometimes if I come to a complete stop thebbike would chug like if it wantes to turn off he told ne that could've been the battery. I bought my batery at advance auto parts last year november.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 AM
Default rectifier

it could be the rectifier under the seat ,these are common to frying the upgrades have fins to allow cooling,i also put an earth straight to the battery.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:32 AM

Got home from worj yesterday, started ul the bike abd fired right up.. rode it straight to my mechanics.. got there and it didn't start, he told me it is the stator.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:57 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Arango, do you trust this mechanic? Did he do any electrical tests, with a multi-meter, on the R/R and the stator, before pronouncing that the issue is with the stator?

Anyway, so that we understand the problems: in an instance where you start and ride the bike, and then it won't start again, are you saying the battery has been drained, and there's no juice to turn the bike over sufficiently, or are you saying the starter will spin the motor fast, like it should, but it just won't light the fuel?
If the battery is indeed drained on these occasions, and charging it will allow you to start the bike and ride it, then yeah, it sounds like your battery is not being charged while riding, so, you've got three things to check:

1) Have the battery load-tested; this will tell you if the battery is capable of holding a charge - if not, then it is useless.
2) Use a multimeter and the routines in the service manual, to check the R/R - it's possible that a failure there is not letting the proper voltage through, to charge the battery while riding, or more likely, it could be that it's allowing too much juice to the battery, which usually fries the battery after a little bit of this.
3) If the R/R tests fine, and the battery passes a load test, check the stator itself by doing resistance tests and continuity tests at the stator's harness... it's in the manuals.

Bear in mind, that if the battery fails the load test, it doesn't just mean that the battery went bad on its own, and replacing it will fix the issue, because if it's a bad R/R that's frying the battery, this will only continue to recur.

For what it's worth, there are other possibilities for a continually depleting battery, like a short in the wiring harness somewhere, but if you do these tests, and find something that has a problem, then hopefully that will be your only problem, and you can fix it.

The stator is the most expensive part, AND the highest labor cost to replace, of the three items in question here. That's why I asked if you trust this mechanic, because if he did not perform these tests, yet immediately diagnosed the issue as the stator? Hmmmmm... that would have me questioning.

Hope you get it worked out!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Yea I get you JNS, but honestly since day one this necanic has helped me all the way, with every little thing. I'm not gonna lie I've seen him work on bijes and I see for myself how much he knows by hanging ariund the shop and whatnot. Usually when I go with a problem he will put it on a stand and within a minute he tells me what's wrong idk how but he does.. this is some cuban guy that's been working on bikes since he was 7 haha, he even races too. But this time I told him my whole story and he tried turning it on when I pulled up and nothing. He saidbit coudlvw veen the stator that was his firsr asumption but then he said give him till Tuesday to nake sure because he's going to georgia and thyre racing so Tuesday I'll fill everyone in but hebsaid there's a %80chance it could be the stator

Old 08-30-2013, 04:33 PM

It coukd be the rectifier regulator but the way he said the battery is good its jut not turning on the bike, I trned it on Thursday morning crank crank crank nothing.. a little bit more attempts and the battery sounds like its dying I leave it tere come back Thursday afternoon 5pm trn it on 2 tries fires up I hail *** to mt mechanics I get there doesn't trn on anymore.. I let it sit and it wants to start hen after a couple tries same thing battery sounds like its dying so that's when he had tokd me there's a big possibility t can be the stator

Old 08-30-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by USMC_Arango
Yea I get you JNS, but honestly since day one this necanic has helped me all the way, with every little thing. I'm not gonna lie I've seen him work on bijes and I see for myself how much he knows by hanging ariund the shop and whatnot. Usually when I go with a problem he will put it on a stand and within a minute he tells me what's wrong idk how but he does..
Ok, I feel you there, I just wanted to make sure you weren't getting "taken for a ride" of another sort, if you know what I'm saying!!

Anyway, it sounds like he'll check things out, including the R/R, and proceed accordingly, and for sure, if the battery isn't fried and does hold a charge, then it probably is the stator, or associated wiring, which is just not recharging the battery.

Hopefully you'll have it back on the road soon.

Old 08-31-2013, 06:55 AM

JNS yea that's what I'm hopong for too.. out of all weekends I woyld be left without a motorccle on labor day weekend. Well anyways thanks man and everyone else much appreciated

Old 08-31-2013, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by USMC_Arango
JNS yea that's what I'm hopong for too.. out of all weekends I woyld be left without a motorccle on labor day weekend. Well anyways thanks man and everyone else much appreciated
Yeah, but on the bright side, at least there's Indycar and MotoGP racing this weekend!