CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

What do I think so far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What do I think so far?

Well, I've had my F2 now for about a year. I did a LOT of research into different makes and models before I bought her, which is my first bike. Nearly bought a katana 600, but the seller was too far away. Almost bought a 98 Yamaha R1, but the price was just a bit too high. I decided I wanted a honda for all the classic reasons and because my brother has one. He recommended keeping my eye out for a 90's CBR, because they're just Good machines. Eventually I bought my 93 F2. Just over 13,000 miles. Seller was very honest and up front about everything. Ran like new, but, chain was on the bleeding edge of having to be replaced. Rear tire was completely worn on one side from having been on the race track. Front tire was having dry rot problems. Carbs needed cleaning. OEM Rectifier was frying fast. All these things posed a problem within a couple months and I finally saved enough money to get everything fixed proper. I like the 90's bikes. They have sexier lines than the newer ones. Interesting color schemes and seem to have a bit more personality than the new bikes. Bike has plenty of power and I've probably gone over 9,000 rpm less than 5 times. Don't do wheelies or burnouts. Been to 120mph once and backed off because it was just too fast. The sensation of speed on these things is incredible and only increased while wearing an open helmet with the flip up visor. Fun bike, great ergonomics, surprisingly comfortable, LOVES high rpm's and still very se%y, even 20 years later.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:50 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're "preaching to the choir" baby!! Anyone on here who knows anything, KNOWS that these bikes rock!!

Seriously though, I'm glad you've been having such a good time with yours, even after needing to attend to some issues.
Some people get turned off, and think the bike is junk, when they get a hold of one that ends up being sort of a project.
The thing they don't realize, though, is that their issues are almost certainly due to neglect by previous owners - it's not the bike's fault, poor maintenance will come back to haunt any machine... that said, these things are so resilient, even with some degree of poor maintenance, they still run true!

It does help that you were aware, coming into it, of what work needed to be done - those people that I mentioned above, who end up with a project? No surprise, as the kind of people who neglect and fail to maintain what they own, are likely to be the kind to then sell it off, with known problems, and not disclose them.

Oh, by the way, count your lucky stars you didn't get the Katana... you ended up FAR better off!! You couldn't pay me to own one of those!

Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good god.... not a Katana... that is the ugliest heaviest pos ever

Old 08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bently600
good god.... Not a katana... That is the ugliest heaviest pos ever
+1000

Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

good to hear that your loving it...the F2 is one of the best bikes of all time......

Old 08-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone on here already knows I love to tinker and the F2 is definately my baby. I can afford any new bike I want, but I put alot of time getting my 'Ratted out' F2 to perform just as fast a new bike. I have spent time from jet kits to fork swaps getting her right where I want her. More or less I Love my bike too!
Very glad you didn't go with the Kantuna POS.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:07 AM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember kids... friends don't let friends ride a Katana!

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few years ago I was out for a ride and met up with a friend that rides a Katana. We briefly swapped bikes just to see what the other was riding and I remember thinking his bike felt odd, very top heavy and hard to turn from what I remember. I always wondered if I had a bad experience specific to his bike but from the comments here, maybe not!

Old 08-24-2013, 02:46 AM

I just wanted to add that I too really, really love my F2 (-92). At least when she's running. I have tinkered so much with her but when she roars and we are cruising in the city, stealing looks from pedestrians I am truly happy. Yes, I know she was meant to run fast but I am not so I enjoy my slow (up to 80 km/h) rides and city viewings.

Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM
Welcome Crew

I lov my f2. Of course, being the project it is/was is my labor of love. But as jns said, even as mistreated as she was in the past, just a little bit of love and she is back to screaming down the way when I want. Reliable enough for my 110 mile commute everyday and suprisingly stable down my dirt road, even after the rain we weren't suppose to get. The engines last as long a you want it to, with proper maintenance. There are plenty of examples with over 100k on em. Totally worth all time and effort.