CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Another F2 Speedo Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another F2 Speedo Thread

Ok so I only found a few but whatever... My problem is this: I was taking the front wheel off the bike yesterday and when it came time to take the speedo off, I unscrewed the little screw and tried to pull the cable off.

It was stuck pretty good so I applied a little more preassure and crack... half of the screw hole(?) came off. So I continued taking the wheel off and when I put it back on, I superglued the two pieces together and got them to stick... OK.

I took it for a ride and it felt ok. speedo was working fine.

this morning I ride it to work and I pull up to a light. As I am taking off I notice that the speedo isnt moving and the tach isnt either. I pull over and see that the speedo gearbox is above the forks and putting the speedo cable a sharp angle.

I get home tonight fearing my speedo gears are messed up but they are working fine when I take the wheel off.

Did I kink my speedo cable or something? Is there any way to check?

Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, interesting that both your tach and speedo are malfunctioning, as they're driven from different systems. The speedo is a mechanical cable from the wheel, as you've learned. But the tach is driven off a pulse width signal from the CDI box. So if that stopped working then you've likely got a loose electrical connection somewhere in addition to your broken cable.

At this point you probably want to take the whole cluster out just to examine the damage. It's not too bad of a job, you can probably have the thing out in an hour and back reinstalled in 15 minutes. Careful when wriggling it out of there the first time, and take the windshield off first.

Anyway, to test your speedo cable just disconnect it on both ends and verify that it spins freely enough with no binding.