CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

'93 F2 Mods - Phase 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the answers and thanks for writing all these posts. They are truly inspiring and have made me decide not to streetfight my own too much but keep it more like yours, because that is one hell of a look, I must say!

Old 12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut down the Yosh can about 5.25 inches - dropped another 1/2 to 3/4 lb.

The race upper was looking a touch dull, so I decided to add some more red accents.

Clear coat, graphics, more clear coat, and race numbers added.

Mounted.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Migge
Thanks for the answers and thanks for writing all these posts. They are truly inspiring and have made me decide not to streetfight my own too much but keep it more like yours, because that is one hell of a look, I must say!
Thanks, Migge. I do like a good streetfighter, and I might do a project of that sort some day, but I am much more partial to the fully faired race look, than to the naked look, and I think you really have to do some serious work, to make an F2 streetfighter truly unique, and look amazing... I'm not saying I wouldn't be willing to do the serious work required, I simply mean I don't have time to devote to that right now, but I'd like to some day.
I will have an old '70's XS-650 Special cafe racer project going sometime in the next couple of years... I hope.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:59 PM

So, somewhere along the line, I also removed the side-stand safety switch, removed the wiring back to the place where it just leaves the harness, and bypassed the switch at that point, allowing me to make a quick removal of the kickstand for track events.
Also, somewhere back near the beginning of things, I switched to GP shift, and of course, saftey wired everything, using spring clips for quick off & ons, without needing to re-twist wire each time.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something somewhere, not counting the obvious things, such as removing as much as possible when going to the track, like the horn and it's bracket, the cockpit trim bezels that attach where the uppers meet the fairing stay, the kickstand, lights and signal harnesses, etc.

This is everything that has already occured - next post will be new mods.

Last edited by JNSRacing; 01-03-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fantastic job.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:44 AM

Excited. Those race fairings look legit. Did you just tape it off yourself or did you have a paint shop do the paint?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by R3define
Excited. Those race fairings look legit. Did you just tape it off yourself or did you have a paint shop do the paint?
The fiberglass repair, surface prep (putty), sanding, priming, relocation of mounting holes, masking, painting, graphics application, etc., was all me... that's why it looks "Ok", but far from professional! That, and the fact that it is 100% rattle-can this time around.
I don't do this for a living, and I haven't helped out with painting a vehicle since auto mechanics class my junior year in high school - suffice it to say that it was a LONG time ago!!

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM

Nice! How did you get the corners to be rounded like they are? Just with tape or did you have a stencil?

Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by R3define
Nice! How did you get the corners to be rounded like they are? Just with tape or did you have a stencil?
I took some sticker backing, and put small strips of tape on it, so I could work with it on a flat surface, without it sticking. Then, I just used an item with the proper radius, and traced that at the appropriate spot on the strip of tape, like, for example, a Nickel on one of the acute angle corners, and a large socket for obtuse angles - after that, I just cut it carefully with scissors, removed it from the backing, and placed it in the corners to change them to the proper radius.

If you look close at this pic, you can see the separate little strip with the radius cut out, in each lower corner of the number plate.

I don't know what the proper way to do this is, but it did work out pretty good.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:26 AM

Gotcha. It looks good. I was just curious as to how you did the corners. Good Idea.

Quick Reply: '93 F2 Mods - Phase 2