CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

92 F2 problems cold starting... Possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 F2 problems cold starting... Possibly?

Hello, All.

Made my intro in the intro forum, but had a question for everyone. I got a 92 F2 last week, 11k miles (only $1k). Seems to be in pretty good running shape, as I've only had 1 issue with it since I got it (took it to a local Honda shop to give it a 'once over' and they said that it only needed new brake pads "YAY").... But today (this morning, I work nights), I went out to start it. It started fine, I let it run for a bit and then climbed aboard. After travelling about 100 yards, it started to bog, with the clutch in. I tried to give it a little gas.... Then it just died. I figured I may have somehow flooded it, so I sat for a while, and then even with the choke wide, it wouldn't start. It would try to start, but then if I tried to give it gas, it wouldn't even try to turn over.... I'm going to the Honda shop tomorrow to get my front brakes installed (they had the rear in stock when I was there last, but needed to order the front), so I'm going to ask them, but wanted to see if anyone knew what it might be. Keep in mind that while I have ridden bikes before, this is my first that I own, so I only have experience with nice, warmed up (usually much newer than mine) ones....

Oh, and it finally did start after I tried a BUNCH of time and played with the choke a lot....

Have a great one,

Dave

Old 05-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Default RE: 92 F2 problems cold starting... Possibly?

sounds to me like the fuel mixture might be a bit off. i know mine is real finicky. if i leave it choked to long--fouled plugs. try to pull away with it still cold--fouled plugs unless you get on it and clear it out. etc. the air filter should be good since it was just in the shop, but i'd change the plugs anyway and get a read on them when you take it out. if it fires and runs good w/ new plugs ride it kinda hard andrun a tank of new gas in it. if its still doing it then take it back to the shop to have your carbs synced and see if there's a jetting problem. well, that's what i'd do anyway....wonder if some of the other more machancial guys will chime in.......

Old 05-30-2007, 06:42 PM

Actually, I found another post here (yes, I was a tool for not looking harder at the beginning, I agree....) that answered all of my q's. The bike had been sitting somewhere for a long time at some point before I bought it, and the carbs are all mucked up.... Also, as I mentioned before, I've never owned a non-fuel injected engine before (well, not counting lawnmowers), and I'm learning how to deal with the engine as time goes along.... The only time I've had any problems with the bike what-so-ever is when the bike's not warm, and I was in a hurry.... So, now I just make sure that I give it time to warm up and all is good (tho I'm going to be ripping the carbs apart asap and cleaning the H-E-double-hockey-sticks out of them)....

Thanks for the post, tho.... And, yes, the plugs will be replaced asap, as well....

Dave

Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM

awww, sounds good man. and sounds like i was on the right track at least! lol, gotta have good gas in there and not let it sit. fuel stabilzer is a must for anything over a month i've found on this bike, and like i said, mine is real finicky with the choke, gotta do it just right. that's the one thing that i don't like about this bike, (and i mean, the ONE thing) -- the carbs. but i'm going to be servicing my soon too and hopefull that will help. good luck w/ the bike!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:00 PM

I haven't had any problems with my bike's choke since I changed the cable. Are you sure the choke is opening and closing all the way? If you have the tank off, and the top of the airbox off, you can see the choke slide.
As a rule of thumb, I always let the bike warm up for about 5 minutes before riding (when the engine's cold). Also, I only use the choke to start the bike. After the engine is running, I close the choke and use the throttle to hold the engine at 2000RPMS for 30 seconds or so, then I slowly back off to idle speed. Finally, the rest of the 5 minutes I let it warm up at idle speed.