CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

PLease help with cold starting!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLease help with cold starting!!

I have a 93' f2 with bout 25K miles... tuned up at dealership and starts right up when cold and full choke..problem..if it stalls out before warm its impossible to start for a couple hours..every combination of throttle/choke tried..ive been told that its almost impossible to flood these things but if it starts to die on choke and i touch the throttle it dies faster i seem to need to sit there and keep the revs at 3K+ while its running strong on choke till warm and hope it doesnt start fading on me. Any thoughts?

Old 04-30-2006, 01:07 PM
Default RE: PLease help with cold starting!!

sounds like its flooding out.Right after it fires start backing the choke off just a little.If you start any motor with choke on and it dies.Then You turn choke off and try again.Otherwise You will flood them.Once it fires up apply choke.

Old 04-30-2006, 05:49 PM

what Randy said

maybe your carbs need to be checked too?

do we have a fuel pump on our bikes-- maybe check the fuel system too

Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I know, F2's are gravity fed. Only f3's and newer have fuel pumps.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Syphen

From what I know, F2's are gravity fed. Only f3's and newer have fuel pumps.
That's good to know!

One less thing to worry about [&:]

Old 05-03-2006, 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: boywonder1973

I have a 93' f2 with bout 25K miles... tuned up at dealership and starts right up when cold and full choke..problem..if it stalls out before warm its impossible to start for a couple hours..every combination of throttle/choke tried..ive been told that its almost impossible to flood these things but if it starts to die on choke and i touch the throttle it dies faster i seem to need to sit there and keep the revs at 3K+ while its running strong on choke till warm and hope it doesnt start fading on me. Any thoughts?
Dude, you described exactly what my bike does on cold start-ups. I've asked other F2 owners about it and they just look at me like I have 2 heads.

As crazy as this sounds, it's the only way that I know of to address the problem. During the warm-up process at full choke, the bike usually stays under 3000 RPMs. During this time, the bike is at risk for flooding out and stalling. Usually after 2-3 minutes, something happens and the bike "kicks" up above 3000 RPMs. As soon as this happens, the bike is ready to ride and shouldn't stall.

Sometimes during warm-up, it won't "kick" above 3000 RPMs and I'll notice it start to sputter and flood. When this happens, I get on the bike and either push it around on the drive-way or jump on it and ride up and down the driveway (I know, I know..it sounds ridiculous, but it works). As the bike moves around, it triggers something and I'll hear it "kick" up above 3000 RPMs. As soon as that happens, the bike is fine and ready to ride. Also, if the bike is totally flooded out and it won't start, try pushing or moving the bike around a little and then try starting it again. This has worked for me a few times when I thought I was stranded.

It took me about 3 years to figure that trick out. I wish I knew what caused it. I've had everything checked out and the bike is fine, otherwise. Try it and let me know what happens.

Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have never had that problem, but like mentioned, check the choke position.. try using less choke maybe and ease off the choke faster. I only have to have my choke on for about 10 seconds before I can turn it off and just let it idle. I throw on my jacket, helmet, gloves and by the time I am ready to go, the bike is warm enough to get going too.

Old 05-03-2006, 04:13 PM

Because my neighbors can hear my bike on cold starts I never let her rev past 2,000 rpm with the choke... and for some reason that's just right for my bike.

Of course it's only 75 -87 degrees here in Hawaii so that's possible.

Someone also said on another forum the CBRs don't like to be revved too high for too long with the choke out... might foul the plugs or something. no idea if that is true

Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 PM

i just bought a 94 F2 yesterday and a glad to hear that i am not the only one with this problem, but i actually ran the batt. dead trying to start it. thanks for the help

Old 08-03-2007, 06:51 AM
SJN

Hi guys, I have the EXACT same problemwith my bike.... 91 F2 [:@]

Has anyone got a fix for it ?

Quick Reply: PLease help with cold starting!!