CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Cold starting F2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold starting F2?

If its cold out, it will crank and sputter to 1000 rpm for a minute then die. I keep crank again and the 1000 rpm sputtering will go longer and longer until it lets me give it gas without dieing, about that time it has warmed up. Somewhere around 5-10 minutes of cranking, sputtering and dieing. Durring the early sputtering if I even think about giving it gas it dies. Are F2's really this cold blooded??

Old 11-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Cold starting F2?

How cold? I'm usually starting my bike up at 3 degrees celsius, starts fine... are you using the choke?

Old 11-05-2007, 09:28 PM

Yes try using more choke

Old 11-06-2007, 05:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I tried getting mine started last Monday and Tuesday and killed the battery both times. Having the same exact issue. I'm in the process of checking the ignition wires and coils. Just a note to all else that are responding, if I hit the carbs with starter fluid, it kicks in immediately with no hesitation.

My jets are clean, the carbs are synch'd, the idle screws were set according to specification. When I have full choke on, it might rev once and then die. I think since starter fluid gets it fired up, that perhaps the gas isn't vaporizing or maybe flooding the cylinders. When I do get mine to start, it ends up having the same exact issue as the poster of this thread.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

How cold? I'm usually starting my bike up at 3 degrees celsius, starts fine... are you using the choke?
It was about 40 degrees F last night when I fired it up. I had to use jumper cables from the car because I killed the battery. When warm it runs just fine. My last F2 did the same thing. It just never wanted to start in the under 70 degree weather.. I do smell a little gas but I dont think thats it because it does always fire up, but just up to the 1000 rpm sputter..

Old 11-07-2007, 11:45 AM

The springs on the top of the carbs that helps the choke engage tend to fall out,at least mine did.Check your plugs,it's the best way to know what your motor is doing,whether it's healthy or not.

I had to use jumper cables from the car because I killed the battery
Don't EVER do that.You'll fry your relays and then some.WalMart sells a motorcycle battry charger for 16 bucks.Mine still kicks even after 8 years.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:09 AM

ORIGINAL: kjohnson

The springs on the top of the carbs that helps the choke engage tend to fall out,at least mine did.Check your plugs,it's the best way to know what your motor is doing,whether it's healthy or not.

I had to use jumper cables from the car because I killed the battery
Don't EVER do that.You'll fry your relays and then some.WalMart sells a motorcycle battry charger for 16 bucks.Mine still kicks even after 8 years.
I could start with a brand new battery and it would die before I got it started. At this point the only way to get it started is hooking it to the car with jumper cables. I got a set of plugs and I will be tearing into her soon..

Old 11-09-2007, 06:56 AM

I figured my problem out.. The choke lever seems to move freeley so I figured I was getting full choke. When it seemed to hit full choke, if I pressed with some force it would move another 3/8" and fire right up. I may just need a new choke cable..

Old 11-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Or check if there's any room for adjustment, you can possibly clamp your choke cable in the clamp further back to make up for the slack?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

Or check if there's any room for adjustment, you can possibly clamp your choke cable in the clamp further back to make up for the slack?
Is that at the carbs or up on the bars?

Quick Reply: Cold starting F2?