CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

winter cbr project!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default winter cbr project!

hello all!
im beginning my winter cbr project!
im going to be tucking all the wires and wrapping them in carbon fiber colored techflex (expansion wire covering) and paint everything, i also want to take care of some maintenance.

i need a new sprocket and chain set
i found one on ebay i like but i want opinions on it
click me

it does look a little cheap, but im new to bikes, so i dont know where to go. im not looking to stunt, but i would like to pick up a little acceleration if i can; while im in there replacing things.
if i should stay away from this brand, who should i look to get a set from?
i need front and rear sprockets and the chain.

i also need to do the cam chain tensioner. i have the all to famous buzz at startup.
some people recommend the stock oem auto tensioner, while some recommend the manual adjust tensioner. which should i get?

i want a jet kit because it has an aftermarket exhaust. who makes a good kit i can buy to start trying to tune it? i have my car self tuned on standalone fuel injection, so i can probably get a grasp on tuning with the carbs to get it close.

im probably going to do a brake flush and pads too. oem pads and dot4 brake fluid right?

ive seen people relocate the oil cooler up front. how do you do that since the lines appear to be crimped on? is there an adapter i can use, and then just use hose and hose clamps? im somewhat nervous about that

last but not least, i need to do fork seals.
i have a decent amount of mechanical knowledge (lots with cars) but im not sure if i should drop off the forks somewhere for replacement, or if i should try them myself if they arent hard. i dont know what all it entails.

thanks for any help!

heres a pic of the bike today after some disassembly

my little storage unit shop!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:53 PM

Well first on the oil cooler. I think it's a waste of time trying to re-engineer a 23 year old bike. With the wrap around body work they will get hot. Moving an oil cooler will accomplish nothing. As for the fork seals you need specialized tools to remove and seat new ones. Take your tubes into a shop. You save labor on fork removal/install and they can get your new seals properly put in. And a heavier weight fork oil might help the soft front end of the Hurricane. Good luck

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Default Cane'

Glad to see your bringing the bike back to life, I have an 87' 600 Cane' myself that I am restoring. If I come along some pointers I will be sure to pass em on. Good luck with the bike

Old 02-13-2012, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by WallyAZ46
Well first on the oil cooler. I think it's a waste of time trying to re-engineer a 23 year old bike. With the wrap around body work they will get hot. Moving an oil cooler will accomplish nothing. As for the fork seals you need specialized tools to remove and seat new ones. Take your tubes into a shop. You save labor on fork removal/install and they can get your new seals properly put in. And a heavier weight fork oil might help the soft front end of the Hurricane. Good luck
im not re-engineering it per say
i have no plastics, so im trying to clean it up for a decent naked look vs trying to source all the plastics.
i dont know how i can leave the cooler up front and still look good.
so i figured i could move it elsewhere for a cleaner look

thanks for the fork info!
i will have the shop do it
any recommendations for fork oil?
im 6' and roughly 170lbs

Originally Posted by sull625
Glad to see your bringing the bike back to life, I have an 87' 600 Cane' myself that I am restoring. If I come along some pointers I will be sure to pass em on. Good luck with the bike
thanks!
ive got a look i want to try to accomplish, so if i can get everything tied together hopefully itll be as cool as im hoping for!

now i just need carb jet info and sprocket info

Old 02-13-2012, 03:59 PM

I moved my cooler by the radiator since it looks like crap on the forks without fairings. I just picked up 2 brass barb fittings from the home depot and 4 hose clamps. Just cut out the extra on the lines a few inches from the fittings so you can hide the clamps underneath the engine.

The bracket was easy its just a piece of straight steel with 4 holes drilled in it. 2 for the oil cooler and 2 for the radiator bolts. i also picked up longer bolts for the radiator and rubber bushings to space it out a little bit.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you've got a good grasp of the basics. Your list is going to cover all of the
things that are too often ingored. Do some trolling thru the how-to and general tech
threads. There's a lot of picture threads on various walk-thru's and discussions.

As far as the fork seals, I have to dis-agree. They are pretty simple wrenching.
The only trick is driving the seals in evenly. The pros use a seal-hammer, it's a
2-piece fitting that wraps around the tube and smacks the seal squarely, to seat it.

Us, regular folks, take a piece of PVC tubing that fits loosely over the fork-tube.
Cut a series of slits, length-wise through one end. That let's the pipe compress to
a smaller diameter. Put the lubricated seal on the fork tube, slide the pipe on next
(slitted side to the seal) and then use a hose-clamp the squeeze the pipe snugly
around the fork-tube. Use a hammer and wood block to whack the end sticking above
the fork, thus driving the seal home. Install the snap-ring and dust-seal and you're
done.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 02-13-2012, 06:01 PM

if you want to do the oil cooler lines correctly my mechanic told me how since older Ferrari use the same lines and need to be replaced periodicity

remove the lines, unscrew the adapter off of the crimped on fitting that's attached to the oil cooler, cut the line where you need it to be cut, take lines to Napa and get new fittings crimped on your old hoses, re install adapters to oil cooler and done!

Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
I moved my cooler by the radiator since it looks like crap on the forks without fairings. I just picked up 2 brass barb fittings from the home depot and 4 hose clamps. Just cut out the extra on the lines a few inches from the fittings so you can hide the clamps underneath the engine.

The bracket was easy its just a piece of straight steel with 4 holes drilled in it. 2 for the oil cooler and 2 for the radiator bolts. i also picked up longer bolts for the radiator and rubber bushings to space it out a little bit.
thats not a bad idea!
i didnt even think of that.
how much PSI is running through them though?
thats what i would be worried about.
do you have any pics of how yours is set up?

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
Sounds like you've got a good grasp of the basics. Your list is going to cover all of the
things that are too often ingored. Do some trolling thru the how-to and general tech
threads. There's a lot of picture threads on various walk-thru's and discussions.

As far as the fork seals, I have to dis-agree. They are pretty simple wrenching.
The only trick is driving the seals in evenly. The pros use a seal-hammer, it's a
2-piece fitting that wraps around the tube and smacks the seal squarely, to seat it.

Us, regular folks, take a piece of PVC tubing that fits loosely over the fork-tube.
Cut a series of slits, length-wise through one end. That let's the pipe compress to
a smaller diameter. Put the lubricated seal on the fork tube, slide the pipe on next
(slitted side to the seal) and then use a hose-clamp the squeeze the pipe snugly
around the fork-tube. Use a hammer and wood block to whack the end sticking above
the fork, thus driving the seal home. Install the snap-ring and dust-seal and you're
done.

Hope this helps, Ern
awesome!
ill check those out.
all i really need to know right now is the sprocket/chain setup and jets
ill probably stick with the oem cam tensioner
my main concern is the chain and sprocket setup.
the jets i can do whenever. i need to sprocket before anything else. the chain was pretty noisy last season and it was a little scary :P

im not sure i grasp how youre saying to do that. are you using the upper fork, lower fork and the pcv to drive it on?
do you need any special tools for disassembly?

Originally Posted by trippmann
if you want to do the oil cooler lines correctly my mechanic told me how since older Ferrari use the same lines and need to be replaced periodicity

remove the lines, unscrew the adapter off of the crimped on fitting that's attached to the oil cooler, cut the line where you need it to be cut, take lines to Napa and get new fittings crimped on your old hoses, re install adapters to oil cooler and done!
oh really?! thats awesome!
thats probably what ill do. itll look cleanest and sounds safest as well.

thanks for all your help so far everyone!