CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Looking into a 600 f1 thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into a 600 f1 thoughts?

Ok so i am new the motorcycle community! I recently took my endorsement and passed with flying colors (not that its hard)!!! I found a 1989 CBR 600 F1 with 25k miles on it. From the pictures it seems to be in supreme shape. The guy wants 1500 for it including a jacket and helmet.

Is there anything specific i should look out for when looking over or test driving the bike?

I already understand if it has sat with gas in the tank that i will have to clean the carbs. But how long would it have to sit for to cause build up?

Will i still be able to find parts if i need them for this 20 year old bike?

Any suggestions to buying my first bike would be great!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be aware, it IS a 20 year old bike. I would budget, at least, 4-500 bucks for going
through and replacing some of the parts and catch-up on maintenance. Things like
replacing the brake-lines (that's a long time for rubber), brake-pads, fork-seals,
steering-head bearings, possible carb cleaning, valve adjustment, etc.

I'm not saying that everything, I've mentioned will need more than an inspection.
But, I'd be willing to bet, SOME of the items, will need to be addressed.

When you look at the bike, it's better if the engine doesn't look "shiny clean",
that way, you''ll see any oil seepage patterns (if any). If it looks freshly pressure-
washed, be suspicious of possible leaks being hidden. If the bike has been
"warmed up" before you get there, it might be an indication of hidden starting/idling
issues. If it is warmed up, but looks good, anyway, go back later and try a cold-start.

Look at the inside of the fairings, if any. Check for bondo/fiberglass work that
indicates the bike has been down. Look for yellow/white crayon "salvage marks",
another indicator of a crashed bike. Check the fork-seals, look at the condition of the
oil and anti-freeze. Chain/sprocket wear? Any grind marks on the tips of the
pegs/bars/muffler/rims? Does the front tire line up with the axis of the bike, when
the bars are centered? How's the harness look? All stock or various mis-matched
wires/splices? Pull the r/r connector and inspect it for heat-sign, i.e. warped/melted
plastic, burnt pins, melted wire-insulation.

Another thing, if it's a serious contender, pay the 50-80 bucks for a compression
check. That is the only easy/fool-proof way the verify the health of the engine, itself.

I would need to write a pamplet, if not a book, to cover all of the ways to determine
what you're looking at. Having flaws isn't a bad thing, IF you know about them
and can weigh them into your decision. Just don't let "bling' rule the day!
Cynical friends are worth their weight in gold, while bike shopping. lol

Hope this helps some, Ern

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM

Check for the crack in the frame on the left side of the bike, rear motor mount. Quite a few of these bikes developed a crack along the weld on the bottom edge of the motor mount. It can be repaired.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:28 AM
Default Bought it lol

So i used your list as best i could. Overall the bike was in really great condition for being 20 years old. I figured i would spend 4-500$ on getting everything in tip top shape. The guy had just gotten off work so i got to cold start it which went well obviously. The only bad was some fairing cracks but i dont mind that because as i said earlier it will be my first bike so i may drop it as well. Very excited for it to stop raining here in washington so i can get riding! Thanks for the help guys!