CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

[Wall of Text] First Street Bike, First Project,

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
If you are pulling that clutch basket off, I would pick up a new nut. A couple bucks but the existing one is staked, and you can never be too sure you can restake it well enough.
Excuse my ignorance, what do you mean my stake?

Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You indent the nut into a groove on the shaft. Prevents it from backing off.
Name:  IMG_4828.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  140.0 KB

Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
You indent the nut into a groove on the shaft. Prevents it from backing off.

Thank you, i guess i didnt even see the indentations on mine when i took it off. But i took your advice this morning and bought the nut as well as the gasket anyway. for 6 bucks and flat rate 12USD(for a gasket) for shipping i might as well right lol.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:03 AM
Default Update

Quick Update, didnt get alot done on the bike this week, not a lot you can do without the right tools and parts(lol) Anyway, So I ordered the new Locknut and gasket for the Rightside cover, And since the Local sears didn't have any 20MM sockets in stock and i didnt even think to check lowes, home depo, walmart (Stanley.....eeeeeew), or any of the other 5 stores that could have had one in stock.

I got my misc nuts and bolts in finally, So the exhaust stud, and joint will be installed this weekend. Along with the various missing nuts and bolts for the bike. The Gas tank will be fastened to the frame for the first time in months lol. Also ordered a new Clutch kit this morning, I figured, chances are that the clutch is either still stock....kinda doubt, or just trash, considering my issues with the shifting. So Meh, i actually managed to find a full kit for a decent price ($105.00) On amazon. That should be here on Thursday, If so it looks like the bike will be ready to ride on Friday or Saturday. All is hoping, This assumes that after i bypass the Thermometer on the radiator the fan still works.

Now id love to start working on the aesthetics after the bike is ride worthy, but Alas, ive been stretching the money i've been putting into the bike as it is. (Jamaica vacation in December....little more expensive than i expected lol) So the Aesthetics will have to wait until the riding season is most likely over and i've already got the vacation funds topped off. Although the way things are shaping up, i might get lucky with the riding season this year, its been raining alot up here in North Dakota, Hoping we get a cool summer and a warm fall to extend the riding season for me a bit lol.

Anyway more updates soon!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:45 AM
Default Clutch, And issues

So its been a while, I finally got new rubber on the rear wheel so thats awesome the bike is getting to the point where im no longer afraid to ride it lol. So anyway, I've been having clutch issues since day one. Shifting into first was hard and caused lurking even with the clutch lever adjusted, and all combinations of grip. I read that the oil can be an issue at times, And the oil was pretty bad so i decided i'd do that, Changed the oil, still the same.

So I pulled the Right crank case cover off, pulled the lifter plate, got the bolt unstaked (pain in the arce). Well, the Plates were lets just say bad lol. The first one was warped to hell and back, probably 1-2 inches from wave to wave on the disk all the way around, Ill get some pictures in here in a bit. So i ordered those, Got everything back together(with some Kevlar Friction Disks and new springs). got the lock nut on(a new one) started getting everything all set up and ready togo, i look down and notice that i forgot the washer...... Well good thing i also forgot the stake the locknut.

Get that all taken care of finally, Get to the point where im putting the lifter plate on, and JUST before the last bolt is tightened i notice its still turning, WTH right... Well turns out that it sheared itself. So thats the next issue.

1. The questions this time is, What do you guys use to extract a bolt and products you like/Recommend?
  2. Would i be better off buying OEM or could i get by with say a hardware store bolt of the same (most likely larger by 2MM on the length [6X28 is OEM, 6X30 is what id probably find]) Size.
  3. Run through the installation procedure for the lifter plate for me real quick, its not exactly explained in the manual on the sticky. (Unless im blind)