CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

too much valve noise? *vid inside!*

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default too much valve noise? *vid inside!*

Is this too much valve noise? I just adjusted them, but I did so without the tappet adjusting wrenches so I had to readjust a few times after tightening the locknuts. am I paranoid or should I readjust now that I DO have the tappet wrenches? thanks guys!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0GGHEk-zY

Old 04-06-2009, 06:16 AM

nobody knows?? cmon guys, one of you must be able to tell if that is to much help! lol!

Old 04-06-2009, 09:03 AM
Default Tappet Tool

Originally Posted by cbreric
Is this too much valve noise? I just adjusted them, but I did so without the tappet adjusting wrenches so I had to readjust a few times after tightening the locknuts. am I paranoid or should I readjust now that I DO have the tappet wrenches? thanks guys!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP0GGHEk-zY
You should be fine, Iv'e adjusted the valves in my Hurricane 11 times and I don't have or use a tappet tool or any other special tools.
Do you have a mechanical cam chain teinor? if so it may need adjusting and if you don't have a mechanical one you may need one.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 AM

I have an oem tensioner, and a brand new one waiting for install. just wondering if the motor sounded noisier than it should. yours sound about the same??

Old 04-06-2009, 10:14 AM

it doesn't sound like a bad tensioner. that causes a slapping, rattling noise. i think in the video the only noise sounds like its comming from the valvetrain. did the noise get louder/more noticable after you adjusted your valves? has it always made that noise? it doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary from the video. as long as the clearnance is ok after you tighten the lock nut, it doesn't matter what tools you used.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 AM

I think the paranoid side of me thinks it is louder. I was only questioning the tools as I had to re adjust them a few times as the spec changed as I tightened the locknut. figured I could get it more exact with the right tool, and I have them now

Old 04-06-2009, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by cbreric
I have an oem tensioner, and a brand new one waiting for install. just wondering if the motor sounded noisier than it should. yours sound about the same??
Yes from what I can tell its about the same.
I've had nothing but trouble with the stock CCT both in my Hurricane and my 94 f-2 also its the same part and the only interchange engine part in the two. On the Hurricane I had trouble with the stock CCT at around 10,000 miles so I just bought a new one from Honda just to see what it sound like same noise as soon as I installed the new one, then I had a mechanical one made for it and no more cam chain noise and at 107,643 mile later with the same mechanical CCT (with just a few adjustments over the years) it sounds fine.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:41 AM

when i checked my valves it was kindof guess and check. i borrowed a tappet tool and it was still hard to reach in some places. just make sure to rotate the engine a few times, and do a final clearance check.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:00 PM

thanks guys, appreciate the help!

Old 02-05-2010, 04:30 PM

How did you get on in the end cbreric?

I think mine need doing aswell..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0aZq6filEs

What do you think?

Anyone got a guide on how to do it on the 1990 fl?

Quick Reply: too much valve noise? *vid inside!*