CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

too much valve noise? *vid inside!*

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, sounds like you need an adjust as well. I re-did it and I would rotate the crank 360* after I adjusted to recheck it. MUCH better off the second time, runs a lot quieter now and the power was smoother. hope it helps

Old 02-06-2010, 05:30 AM

Will it do any damage to the engine If I ride it how it is for now?

Cheers for the reply matey..

Dont supose you could post up a guide?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 AM

you might get some more wear than usual. I honestly did it a while back and other than rotating the crank 360* to double check the setting, I just followed the manual. and remember to recheck it after tightening the lock nut as you might have affected the setting. hope that helps!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:16 AM

by the way, where are you from? that doesnt look like my bike at all! any pics of it? and have you checked the plugs? I had a lot of similar noise when I first got it and there was one plug that was totally shot and actually loose in the motor! worth a check

Old 02-06-2010, 02:28 PM

Im from the UK.. the fl engine has been fitted to a cbr 400 nc23

Will double check the spark plugs tomorrow and will check the tappets also..

Let you know how I get on and upload another video..

Old 02-06-2010, 02:47 PM

good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Default Todays work..

Found what appears to be making the noise..

The cam on the left hand side of the engine on the intake port appears to have wear marks.. This is exactly where the sound was coming from..

The others appear to be in good condition.. I did have a go at measuring the gaps with a feeler guage and from what I could tell the gaps this side of the engine were ok..

I was measuring the gap when the large side of the curve on the cam was facing down... is this correct? Or are they meant to be sideways?

All of the valves appeared to be within the acceptable limits apart from port 4 intake valves.. they were 0.09!! This was measured when the large part of the cam was facing down.

The damaged cam you can see in the pictures in on port 1 intake valve.. the clearances appeared to be ok here.. The noise was defo coming from the top of the engine where the cam has been damaged..

What could cause this type of wear?

Does it need replacing?

If so can I use one from a spare engine?

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10680.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10679.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10678.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10676.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10677.jpg  

Old 02-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Default More pictures..

additional pictures attached.. the ones in the first reply arent very good...

I hope it doesnt need replacing.. the damage doesnt look to bad.. but then im no expert..

Attached Thumbnails too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10673.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10669.jpg   too much valve noise? *vid inside!*-sdc10672.jpg  
Old 02-08-2010, 04:58 PM

I am honestly not really sure. cant really tell what is wrong in the pics, and not really sure I could tell you what it needed anyway!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 PM

Got it all finished tonight and started up ok

Valve clearances was tricky.. but once I got the hang of it went ok.. Also had to replace the cam as it did defo have some slight damage.. lucky I had a spare engine..

I didnt replace the cam chain tensioner gasket and had an oil leak.. doh - new gasket now gone in!

The noise has gone!! It must have been the damaged cam causing it..
I managed to spill some oil on my exhaust wrap which is now smoking like a biatch

Any ideas how to get it off without removing the wraps?

Heres a short video of it firing up after the new gasket was fitted and had stopped leaking oil..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xAAncjO_yE

Another vid of the wraps smoking..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubj7iRxwsv8

I havent synced the carbs again yet and the exhaust is blowing slightly so will sort that tomorrow.. The bike seems to loose revs slower - could be something to do with the slightly retarded timing? More likely the exhaust blowing and require sync I guess..

Roll on the weekend

Quick Reply: too much valve noise? *vid inside!*