CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting problems

I own an 88 honda cbr600 hurricane, I bought it last year and was able to ride it for about a month but it had a clicking sound. the sound i believe is the cam chain that needs to be replaced, I hear that it is a common problem. but when I put it up it was starting, i did have to push in and up on the starter button to get it to start, i went to start it and i am getting nothing. I checked the fuses in the box on the left side inder the fairing, i checked the main fuse that sits on the right and all are fine. I tested the wires from the run/off switch and i am getting possitive through them when run is engaged. any help on why this bike will not start, i get no clicking, no trying to turn over,nothing, it is in netruel, the light is on. any help is welcome. Jason

Old 02-27-2007, 06:41 PM
Default RE: starting problems

Is your battery charged?

If so, you need to heck to see if the starter is getting voltage. If it is, and still no start, then the problem is in your starter.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM

yes the bike is fully charged i also just notice the headlight is not coming on

Old 02-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you've checked all the fuses and the obvious items, i suggest checking the plugs on the left of the bike just ahead of the fuse box. you may have a loose connection or maybe a corroded pin. or get a wiring diagram and test voltage at different points. one thing about these old bikes is the wiring could be corroded or cracked. i have a headlight issue every once in a while due to corrosion or loose plug.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:54 AM

I started testing wires on different parts from the bike. I have a wiring diagram for my bike but some things confuse me. like which are posiotive and ground.some are easy to figure out but others i cant tell if i am grounding out a wire if i cant tell itf it is ground to start with.

I tapped into the two wires that my start button should connect and the bike was trying to turn over, but still didn't start, I also tapped into the wire leading to the dimmer switch so my headlight would come on, my next question is there a wire leading to the fuel cut off making it not start.

but more importantly, how hard is it to replace the starter switch my manual just says take it off well i took out the two screws and there are the two throttle cables there, is it possible to take them off there or do i need to take them off at the other point and how would i do it anyhelp is thankful jason