CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rebuilding the machine

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rebuilding the machine

Been a while since I've been on here. I have been off 2 wheels for a few months since my accident (see here)

I finally got my garage cleaned out so I could get the bike in there. Here is where it stands now.

There is pretty extensive damage to the front fairing, and the side fairings and service cover. The front fairing stay is also bent. I have replaced the bar ends, clutch lever and foot pegs.

I have noticed the right fork is leaking fluid, so hopefully just a blown seal (never changed them before). In the past, I did all my work at my dads shop where I could hang the bike from the rafters, but I don't have that luxury here (attached garage, no way to brace joints without ripping down all the drywall). I have been looking at getting a triple tree stand (I just have the basic fork stand now). I have been looking at this guy: Motorcycle Triple Tree Center Lift Headlift Attachment Front Wheel Lift Stand | eBay
(I presume one of the pins it comes with will fit?!)

I have though about buying a 2nd F1 and use the plastics etc... of it... haven't decided yet.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey good to see you're recovered and working on the bike!

The side fairings might be salvageable, I can't tell how bad they are exactly from the pics. I had similar damage on mine when I lowsided it last summer, and used ABS pipe cement as a body filler to rebuild all the ground down (and ground through!) sections. It came out really good and makes a permanent bond to the original material so it won't come apart later after repainting.

As far as stands go I bought these a few years ago:
Gold TRex Front Triple Tree and Rear Motorcycle S
They can be used as a triple or fork stand in the front, and a spool or universal swingarm stand in the rear. The height adjustable front is also nice to have to make sure it clears the front fender. Otherwise you may have to remove it to use the triple adapter. Also, the pin size for our bike is a 24mm which the one you were looking at doesn't come with. It should work okay if they offer a 24mm pin though.

The forks are not hard to take apart and replace the seals & fluid. Hopefully that is all that is wrong with them. I had to replace a couple bushings on mine that were showing some wear marks with 40k+ miles on them. They were only an extra $40 or so though.

Last edited by TahoeRider; 11-03-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:10 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Thanks Tahoe,

I'll get some more pics this weekend. The fairings have been ground down pretty good in some parts. I will have to look at an abs filler to reform some of the flat bits.

I've looked around for pin sizes. Some places call it a 19mm pin, others at 22mm and others at 24mm. I'm not sure if I can just measure the hole and get the data myself...

I can't wait to get to the paint stage. I have got a great idea in mind, but I have yet to figure out how I'm going to take it on.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:55 PM

I can measure my pin and see what size I bought.. I can't remember now which one it was but it fits perfectly on my 87. Might have to stop by work & grab my vernier calipers first though.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:08 PM

Well I'm glad that I checked.. the correct pin size is 24mm. Edited my previous post to include the correct information. Go figure, you can't trust everything you read on the internet

What are you thinking for the paint? Unless it's still a secret

Old 11-03-2013, 09:39 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Thanks tahoe. Might prove to be difficult to find a stand with a 24mm pin for a reasonable price. I might just work out a way to hang the bike instead.

As for the paint... still a secret. But I am a ways away from that decision yet :P

Old 11-03-2013, 11:36 PM

This looks like the same design as the one you're looking at, and they have a 24mm pin available separately.

Black Widow Deluxe Triple Tree Stand

Good luck with the restoration!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:18 AM
Welcome Crew

glad to here your on the mend CorruptFile, keep us updated with the progress
if you dont want to buy the lift, you can use a piece of ally pipe and a trolley jack using the centre stand,i put mine under the headstock frame rails and could also access the head bearings

Old 11-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Thumbs up

Hey Corruptfile, great to see your bike again and that you're really positive about getting her fixed up. Take your time prepping the plastics before painting. I rushed mine in places and it hasn't taken long for the flaws to start looking obvious. Were those guitar pedals I saw on the floor? - I too play the guitar. Good stuff bro

Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
June 2013 ROTM

Originally Posted by wheelnut
glad to here your on the mend CorruptFile, keep us updated with the progress
if you dont want to buy the lift, you can use a piece of ally pipe and a trolley jack using the centre stand,i put mine under the headstock frame rails and could also access the head bearings
No center stand. I haven't seen a NA market cbr with a center stand tbh. Having the ttree stand is probably a good investment for the future... Still mulling it over. I'm waiting if I can find a used one locally before ordering one in. The fork seal is not something that needs attention right away.

Originally Posted by dodger79
Hey Corruptfile, great to see your bike again and that you're really positive about getting her fixed up. Take your time prepping the plastics before painting. I rushed mine in places and it hasn't taken long for the flaws to start looking obvious. Were those guitar pedals I saw on the floor? - I too play the guitar. Good stuff bro
My impatience is going to be my biggest enemy for this project. Hence why I am waiting to do it in the off season, no reason to rush.
Yeah they are guitar pedals. Unfortunately I don't have a place to set up in the house. The wife won't allow me to occupy a room for all my crap (5 guitars, 2 amps, big pedal board). Probably because it sounds like sh*t.

There may be a big development coming in bike repair tonight... keep ya'll posted!

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the machine