CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Rear Cam Chain Guide

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Cam Chain Guide

Can anyone look at these pics and tell me if this chain guide looks right or if it's worn out? This is the REAR cam chain guide. I'm still trying to trouble shootrattling coming out of my head. It sounds like the CCTbut will not go away when I tighten the manual CCT up. If it's not this, I'm worried it may be the cam journals.

The channel depth I measured is 1/4". The ruler I used to measure the depth measures in 1/32" and 1/64" increments that's why it doesn't look like it says 1/4".

I know several people have parts lying around and some have their engines apart.

The pics are not the best quality. I took them with my phone and then decreased the quality even more with Photoshop so I could get them all in one post.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/28770/5CB44E15690442B8869C26F30C5BB9EA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28770/5E4659EF63E142DEBF86E9370100BE87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28770/6122A9074A964966A8C3E0E4CB9A62A8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/28770/1C4046A8F997487492E36308F695CAA9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Registered Users
Default RE: Rear Cam Chain Guide

It looks fine to me. I just checked mine and it looks the same as yours. Have you checked your valves? They could be adjusted wrong. and check for any loose bolts or screws all over the whole bike. Sometimes things can be making noises from somewhere not even related to where the noise is coming from.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:50 AM

Thanks. I was hoping it was bad.

It's definitely coming from the head. It could be the valves. I over heated it bad when the head gasket blew.

When I have the head cover on it sounds real bad like the CCT being shot. I have a manual CCT installed and the noise gets better if I crank down on the CCT but it doesn't go away and still sounds bad. When I take the head cover off, it doesn't sound as bad. With the head cover being on it magnifies the sound.

I may try installing a used rear guide before I pull this head again.

I adjusted all the valve clearances. I had a few that were only .001" out and one that was about .009" out. Didn't help at all.

Once I put the rear chain guide back in I will shoot a video of the noise. Maybe someone on here will be able to tell. I've been sinking what little free time I have on this thing for the past month. I think it's time for a break.

One person thinks it maybe the Cam Bearing Journals. I have no idea what those would sound like if they were bad. I'm trying to check all other options before accepting that.

If it's anything expensive now to fix my bike, it's going to be parked for a while. It's been one thing after another the past 2 months.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you say that you have manual cct. i'm assuming that you have it bottomed out to no more adjustability. and you state that you still hear rattle. do you know if the cam chain is within spec?

have you tried to listen to the noises coming from the head with a long screwdriver to try and localize the rattle? you may want to try that and see where in the vicinity of the head the rattle is coming from.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM

I have a manual CCT and I have tried tightening it up as much as the chain will allow it to go. It does not bottom out theCCTbut all slop is pulled out of the chain and it is tight.

I have an automotive stethoscope that I have used and have not been able to pin point the noise. It just sounds like a lot of rattling going on in the head cover. When you have the head cover off,the noise isnot anywhere near as bad. When you have the head cover on, it magnifies the noise. Sounds like what a bad CCT sounds like.

I do not know if the chain is in spec. I did not remove it. Would think the guides would go before the chain would. Only have 46k miles on it.

I was looking at how deep the channel is in the rear chain guide. The front chain guide doesn't have anywhere near as much wall height for the chain to run in as the rear one does. I was wondering if the guide material that should be filling that channel is wornoff or gone. I looked on the internet to see if I could find a picture of a rear chain guide. Have not had much luck so far. I did find some pics of some newer model chain guides and they do not have anywhere near as much channel wall height as mine does. They have a lot of material filling theirs like my front guide has.

When I bought the bike the CCT was shot. The rattling was horrible when I first started upit upand for about the first 30-60 sec after starting it. 1-1/2 to 2 months later I changed it out and put a manual one on and it sounded great.A week laterthe head gasket blew.

It could be all the valves rattling that bad but I have decent compression. I tested my compression and it ranged from 138 psi to 150 psi. I only pulled one plug at a time. Someone else in here said the compression is probably higher then what I got. I did not use the factory tester. He says his tester is not the Honda tester and he gets about 10% lower compression reading vs. the OEM tester due to the less area fill in the plug hole. He also said I should have removed all plugs at once. Compression spec is 185 psi +/- 28 psi.

Someone else thinks it could be my cam bearings being shot.Another persontold me I wouldn't be able to hear the cam bearings being shot.

I'm lost. It doesn't matter right now. It looks like it's going to be down for a while unless I find that it's something cheap to fix. The bad thing is the bike was saving me about $300 a month in gas. That wasthe main justification of buying it.

Once I get it back together I will post a video of the sound. I found a used chain guide on ebay but it's not a good enough pictureto see how much material is in it.

Thanks

Old 09-01-2008, 04:15 PM

I've looked at this rear cam chain guide closer and I am almost convinced this thing is bad. It's worn and you can see were the chain is wearing grooves in the bottom of the channel.

I'm going to try to get this used one and take a good look at it. If it looks better then what I have I will install it and see if the noise goes away.

My wife left our good camera at a friends house so cant take a good pic of it.

Old 09-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered Users

Here are some things that you can check:

Loose valve adjuster
valve sticking in guide
low oil pressure
Or damaged rocker arm shaft. Rocker arm may be binding on shaft.

Something also could have been damaged or warped when your engine overheated.