CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

No Oil on the dipstick?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the cct gets noisey you can remove it and flush the port on it. With metal flecks floating around in your engine one could easily block it. What do you suspect the flecks are from?

Old 06-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Switching to synthetic can make the engine feel different (rev up quicker), make it noisier at some speeds, affect the shifting, etc.

The viscosity modifiers in synthetic work different than the ones in regular oil. It may be "thinner" at different temperatures than regular oil but the lubrication qualities are better than regular oil so this balances out.

Once you put synthetic oil in an engine (especially with a shared oil supply to the clutch) it is there forever (unless you completely solvent flush the engine and replace any components that are impregnated with oil).

I use partial synthetic in my CBR and in my Harley. Both sounded different after a few hundred miles but ran cooler.

It is possible that you have a noise now that you couldn't hear before. It doesn't mean something is broken, the sound may not be dampened by the synthetic as much as it was by the regular oil.

Changing to any approved oil (synthetic or not) will not affect driveability (other than possibly the clutch not grabbing as well). It will not causing stalling, etc. The shifting may feel different as that uses oil bath for lubrication rather than pressure (like a bearing) I don't think synthetic works as well in that sort of application. Adding too much oil may cause the engine rev up slower.

If you are having driveability (rideability) issues I would look somewhere else if you have the proper amount of oil in the engine. Did you do ANYTHING else when you changed the oil? Pull a plug to look at it, move the wiring around, tighten some nuts or bolts? Adjust the chain?

Let us know.

KongBastard

Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 PM

I figured it out. The noise is my chain rubbing the rear fork in front of the chain slider at low speeds when the engine is braking. I need to tighten up that chain. I think it showed up with the oil change effecting the way the CCT is working at lower speeds with the synthetic and so I assumed it was something in the engine.

Thanks for all the input folks, I was freaked out for a while. I think it should be an easy fix now.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:31 AM

The chain was loose enough that it was grinding on the swingarm? Maybe you should brush up on your pre-ride inspection. Fluids , lights, air in the tires, mechanical stuff like brakes, suspension, chain tension and condition...cables etc. You have to take responsibility for your own safety.
Ride safe.