CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New to Us bike major fuel issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Us bike major fuel issues

Just bought an 87 for my GF. Has a 'few' issues.

When the fuel was on the bike started to leak fuel to say the least. Lots of gas pouring out the drain hole in the muffler. Cylinder must have been full of gas. Stuck needle valve or float i would imagine. Any other things i should consider?

Now when i looked at the bike i see the fuel pump is not there. line goes from tank to filter to carb intake. Do some models not use a fuel pump? Is one necessary? I have to admit i feel kinda dumb even asking that but... the carbs look stock.

Tryed to get the spark plugs out to see which cylinder. I know its 11/16 but I put it in there and it wouldnt grab anything? huh? how do yo get them out?

thanks.

Old 05-06-2012, 11:06 PM

You will need to do an oil change. Having fuel leaking into the engine while it is not running will dilute the oil.
Yes your machine should have a fuel pump. It will run on gravity for the top 2/3 of the tank. The bottom 1/3 of the tank is below the carbs.
The plugs are recessed quite far. I use a short extension on my plug socket to get at them.
I would advise you to use the fuel shut off every time you shut the bike off to prevent the fuel draining down again. Clean the carbs, especially if they have been sitting for a while.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 AM

Found a needle that wasn't sitting up far enough on the #4 carb. The fuel delivery tube between 2 and 3 had been sealed from the outside using some glue ie leaked. 24 cents and 2 new o rings fixed that.

I'll give the oil a good sniff for gas. As its fresh synthectic i'd hate to toss it. Im sure some did blow by..crap!

So the pump is there due to the tank shape. Good to know. Thought it odd for a non-fuel injection bike. So yeah whats below the float intake wouldn't get in there. Ok Ill look at the hoses and fish around for a fuel pump.

Yeah must need a slim walled one(???). As i had a socket down there on a short extension and it just spun with no resistance.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM

The oil was indeed contaminated. Changed it. My honda dealer sold me a wrench off a tool kit in a new bike. one of the ones made from sheet metal...that fit. cleaned plugs.

Wont start now. Noticed that the fuel cut off relay was also missing. Looked at the wiring diagram and i see it is connected to the spark unit. Wondering if that connector needed a jumper wire or is fine to leave the bare connector with out it interfereing with the spark unit. Ideas anyone???