F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

major issues please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default major issues please help

ok problem 1. bike wont start unless i put it in neutral, it will not start in first with the clutch in
problem 2. bike is now smoking out of the exhaust and there is oil dripping over the crank case on the left side
problem 3. when i go to clutch a wheelie it just revvs high and seems to spin, but i think this is because the bolt that holds the clutch lever in place is missing

help!!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: major issues please help

Problem 1: There should be a clutch switch on your bike that tells the bike's computer/starter circuit that the clutch is in. If this switch is no longer working, the bike will think that the clutch is not pushed in and will not allow you to start the bike.
Problem 2: What color is the smoke? Blue smoke = burning oil, white smoke = burning coolant or lean A/F mixture. Black smoke = rich A/F mixture. The oil leaking from the crankcase may be caused by a blown seal. I'm familiar with car engines, and bike engines should be built the same way. As far the smoke, if the problem is not with the A/F ratio, then you have a potentially big problem with the engine. For coolant or oil to burn, it must get into the engine first. There are gaskets that keep coolant and oil out of the engine. If this gasket (head gasket) is blown, it will allow coolant and/or oil into the cylinders and it will burn. Also, if the problem is burning oil then the piston rings may be worn out. One of the functions of the piston rings is to keep the oil that lubricates the piston out of the space where the combustion occurs. If the piston rings are worn, oil will remain in the combustion area causing it to burn.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:34 AM

well i dont think its too serious because it was running fine tonight, i got home and just let it fall over, its a stunt bike and i have a SI cage on it, when i tipped it back up then it started smoking, a friend of mine who stunts said it could be because i tipped it over and oil just went where its not supposed to be causing it to burn out

Old 04-03-2007, 02:46 AM

ok the smoke is not distinctly blue its more white than anything would it be really blue, or just white with a slight hue of blue

Old 04-03-2007, 05:02 AM

it would be mainly white with just a slight hue of blue if u were burning oil

Old 04-03-2007, 01:34 PM

I'd ride it for a couple of days and see if it clears up. Also, try to avoid tipping over. If some oil is in a place where it shouldn't be, then all of it will burn away eventually and you won't have the smoke anymore. If it doesn't go away, you might want to run a compression test.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:29 PM

smoked like a bitch for about 5 minutes, i turned it off, now it only smokes under throttle, but it was smoking BAD at idle, now it doesnt smoke till i womp the gas, thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 03:34 PM

thats normal... just drive it around =]

Old 04-03-2007, 06:17 PM

drop it a few more times that should fix it might even give it more power, lol

Old 04-03-2007, 06:19 PM

i was about to say that your first problem is because your kickstand is down, that's why you can't start it in first.

the next thing i was gonna say was... learn how to ride before you start stuntin. lol

Quick Reply: major issues please help