CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New bike! oh, corection, new OLD bike :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2023 | 07:24 AM
|

Well, ... ... yes the right sized #35 slow jets changed the ride-ability completely. Great!! Yes, its a little slower through the low and mid range, but you can get the power on more confidently through the urban street corners, so its just as quick and more enjoyable.

Here's the overall update:

Riding a little every couple of days, thinking about how it rides:
  1. Forks need refurbishment. Head tube too vertical, steering a very tiny bit fast. Knocking at times on bumps.
    What I did was increase the fork air pressure to about 7.5psi and that seems to have cured the rare bottom out. Yes, still need to refurb the forks.
  2. Motor is improving, with a bit of use.
    Yes it certainly is. Lovely whistling sound from the top end.
  3. Gear lever too low.
    Sorted out
  4. Brake lever too soft. Slight oil weep from rear banjo, need to anneal the washers and try again.
    That's the rear, managed to get a better fit at both ends of the rear brake line by turning it around. Annealed the copper washers and stopped the leak. Then figured I had spilt oil ont he rear pads. So, ordered those and put them in, now working okay. Not fantastic, but the rear brake is never fantastic - due to forward weight transfer.
  5. Almost out of adjustment on the chain. If I recall right, a new chain and sprockets does vastly improve the gear shifting sweetness.
    Ordered the chain. Cut the old one off. Got the new one stalled, but, without the right tool, hard to get the link pins peened over. I expected a clip, as in the picture of the chain I ordered. Well, got it mostly on and dropped into the local ducati shop. They very kindly brought out the peening tool and two hammer hits later, hey presto.
Today, the manual CCT adjuster arrived. It can be tricky on this model to install as its centred on the back of the block, with a water connector skirting around it. But, if the rubber hose on that connector is not too close to the block, and if you have a 1/4" drive and narrow 8mm socket, you can do it by only removing the left cowling. So that is done. Had to borrow a small compact 1/4" ratchet drive (thanks neighbour).

Following advice here: install, tighten the main bolt by hand, test cold. If okay tighten the locknut and test it warm.

Old 03-26-2024 | 08:22 AM
|
Old 03-26-2024 | 06:11 PM

Coming along nicely!!!

Is fan spinning immediately when starting bike? I should only run when triggered by thermoswitch when radiator temp gets over 110C. Running fulltime would definitely wear out bearings prematurely.

The following users liked this post:
beezel (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024 | 06:15 PM
|

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Coming along nicely!!!

Is fan spinning immediately when starting bike? I should only run when triggered by thermoswitch when radiator temp gets over 110C. Running fulltime would definitely wear out bearings prematurely.
I bought a fan from an F2, swapped the shroud over. Installed a new thermo switch. On a 25C degree day, fan comes on at the traffic lights after about 10 minutes riding.