CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

New bike! oh, corection, new OLD bike :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023 | 09:41 AM
|
Default Fairing Tweaks

There were a number of attachments on the fairing that were cracked. I used 20x1.8mm Al 5000 series strap to reinforce, gluing with epoxy. After gluing I drilled 6mm holes in the Al. This way, the shoulder of the bolt grabs the metal strap and the head of the bolt grabs the fairing plastic. The connection pushes the fairing 1.8mm out. Sometimes this doesn't matter, such as the fairing frame arms behind the front indicator. Other times it matters a little bit.

Old 03-14-2023 | 10:14 AM
|
Default Fairing Frame Tweaks

When I mounted the left cowling, the holes did not line up. The forward bolt, did not align, the fairing frame arm was three mm too far forward. The right was the same, but the frame was two mm too far back. Oh Dear. And I always thought the main cowling was not level. All I had to do was hit the fairing frame with a hammer. But where?

First I made sure the bike was upright, using a level. Unfortunately, the centre stand was not holding it upright, not exactly, so I propped each swing arm, adding a wedge on one side, to make it level, according to a level across the grabrail and in front of the fuel cap. Also, the headstem, I checked it was plumb. Then I put a 2x4 across the tops of the fairing frame, where the mirrors attach. This was not level! I checked the oil cleaner, it was far from level.

It just needs a hit, but where?

framework clearly not level

Bike is actually level, near-enough

So I took a gambol. I put a block of wood on the cross bar just below the instrument binnacle (which I removed just in case my swing was wild). I also disconnected the loom either side of the mounting plate. Using a block of wood, I hit down, at an angle, say, towards a spot on the floor between the two wheels. I monitored the change on the level across the two mirror mount arms. Also, test fitting the left and right cowling frequently. It took a a few serious hits with a sledge.

Old 03-21-2023 | 05:23 AM
|

Success
Fairings all align well now. Maybe a repaint is in the future.

Birds eye gives an interesting capture, conveys some of the sense of riding it.

Old 03-21-2023 | 05:53 AM
|
Old 03-21-2023 | 06:25 AM
Welcome crew

Great Job, looking good

The following users liked this post:
beezel (03-21-2023)
Old 04-04-2023 | 07:43 AM
|

Originally Posted by Al1040
Great Job, looking good
Thank you! 😊

Riding a little every couple of days, thinking about how it rides:
  1. Forks need refurbishment. Head tube too vertical, steering a very tiny bit fast. Knocking at times on bumps.
  2. Motor is improving, with a bit of use.
  3. Gear lever too low.
  4. Brake lever too soft. Slight oil weep from rear banjo, need to anneal the washers and try again.
  5. Almost out of adjustment on the chain. If I recall right, a new chain and spokets does vastly improve the gear shifting sweetness.
Until the forks are done, can't really ride outside the metro.

One thing, sometimes it smells like it's running too rich. I can't really diagnose that, but know that when new it never did.

Or maybe I expect too much? 😆😆 from on old girl.

Old 04-06-2023 | 06:36 PM

Going great job on restoration!!! One item at a time and it'll be brand-new before you know it!!

The following users liked this post:
beezel (04-06-2023)
Old 05-21-2023 | 03:23 AM
|
Default startup rattle

Should the fan blades be super loose on the spindle? Is this the source of a supper rattle on start up? Seems to go when warm and is only at certain revs, 2-3k rpm. Seems to be right hand side.
Thoughts?

Old 05-21-2023 | 03:30 AM
|
Default slow jets

Been riding round town a bit. Slow corners, its hard to match revs, slowly wind on, nothin, nothin, then suddenly there. Not as I remember it. After a while I started to think maybe the jetting was wrong. The mechanic returned some jets after working on the carbs, saying, they didn't match. Maybe it has the wrong ones in it.
Investigated, back in I went. Yep. #38, not #35. I put #35s in. That might improve the show speed tractability

Will put in plugs too while I'm there.

Old 05-21-2023 | 07:44 AM
|

Originally Posted by beezel
Should the fan blades be super loose on the spindle? Is this the source of a supper rattle on start up? Seems to go when warm and is only at certain revs, 2-3k rpm. Seems to be right hand side.
Thoughts?
The blades seem super loose on the spindle. Doesn't seem right?

Quick Reply: New bike! oh, corection, new OLD bike :)