Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b looking at a 88 'cane

So, a friend of mine offered to sell me his 88 Hurricane 600f for $1000

38k(or maybe 31k, don't remember now) on the clock
New tires
Chain adjusted after tires put on

but the issue that worries me right now is that he says it seems like cylinder #3 doesn't fire all the time. It has spark, but he's thinking it may be a float in the carb not allowing fuel to flow. He said he just had the carbs gone through however. I heard it run and I kept hearing a ticking noise at idle as well, I don't know if thats normal but it's not something I would expect to hear.

This will be a first bike for me, and I'm scheduled to take the Motorcycle Safety Education Course through Illinois State University at JCWhitney in La Salle, IL in May from the 28th-30th. I don't think it would be a bad bike for myself to start out on, but then again I don't know.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:09 PM

the old bikes are pretty good for the begginer. low seat hieght, comfortable riding position, and moderate horsepower make for ideal ridding.

the ticking noise is probably the cam chain tensioner. makes kindof a rattling noise until about 4000 rpms. i've replaced my cct and it still makes the noise. its not something i've concerned with.
if its more of a ticking, and not a rattling sounds, it could also need the valves adjusted. you can adjust the valves yourself. no shimming needed, they use an adjustment screw and locknut. the space to work is tight, but doable.
hard to say whats up with the #3 cylinder. probably something with the carbs. does it not fire at low rpms, or high? lots of problems with these carbs from lack of maintenance, or sitting for long periods with fuel sitting in them.

finaly, how are the fairings? plastic is about one of the hardest items to find. that price sounds alright if its a complete bike.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM

thats what I figured, and at that price I won't be too mad if(or when) I drop it for the first(second?) time.

I've never adjusted valves, but I have read up on it. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and use the Haynes Manual for my car...I can do spark plugs, oil changes, tire rotations, change out window regulators, replace lug studs when they shear off while trying to take the lugs off to rotate tires, brakes...basically if I can read and follow directions I can do it, or get to the point where I call someone.

I will probably have someone look at the carbs for me. I'm not sure if it's high or low, I just got to look at it, didn't touch it and didn't get a ride on it. I will ask for a ride next time, he had to run because it looked like rain.(I sent him a text asking for pics, and when I got home he was in my front yard with the bike).

He had the front fairings off, and I forget what the reason was, but he said he had them...otherwise it didn't look too bad.