CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Leaking fuel

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 11:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fuel

Hey guys, i took off my gas tank for the first time today to pour some sea foam in the carbs. well after i put it together the bike ran like ****, normal for seafoam, but i noticed it was leaking alot of what seemed to be like fuel from the little tube under the air box. What is this tube for? and why is it dumping fuel? its like one drop persecond, is it fuel or just seafoam that I poured in?

Old 07-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leaking fuel

if you take the air filter out, you will see 3 small holes at the bottom of the air box. you will see 2 holes of the same size, one near the left and one near the right side. both these holes are for the breather tubes that sit between number 1 and 2 carb and number 3 and 4 carb.

next is a hole slightly larger located off center of the airbox. this is the crankcase breather hose attached to the top of the cylinder head.

my guess is that it is the sea foam, but you would have to look on the inside of the airbox to see where it is coming from.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:37 PM

well after removing the entire airbox and the velocity stack box and exposed the carbs, I noticed that it is dumping fuel from the hose that tee's off from the first two carbs, what is this tube for? and why is it dumping fuel?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:16 PM

i'd have to look in the manual to be sure, but i believe it is the breather hose that you are seeing fuel coming out of. when the carb has an excessive amount of fuel being fed to it, and the carb cannot get it out the fuel jet fast enough, or if you roll on the throttle in a higher gear before the engine can come up to speed (you're at low rpm, below 4000, and you snap the throttle back to get going, the engine rpm is not sufficient enough burn that fuel being fed to it, thus the engine bogs like it is about to stall and then after a couple of seconds the engine rpm picks up and *boom*! off you go, almost like a snatchy throttle condition). the excess fuel has no where to go and so it dumps out those breather hoses located between carb sets.

on my bike i need to downshift into a lower gear before i can snap the throttle back, someplace where my rpms will be above 5000 or so. if i try to snap the throttle back too quickly i will bog the engine down with too much gas. and when that happens it starts flowing out the breathers into the catch can. eventually the catch can will fill with gas which i end up dumping back into the fuel tank.

i don't think my example is what is causing you to see fuel flow out that hose. i would have to check the manual to see what else causes that condition. since it is only coming from those 2 carbs, it shouldn't be a big deal to narrow the problem down. i'll post some possible causes as soon as i can.

to be sure, can you point out which hose in this picture you are seeing fuel coming from?

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_02...00&parent=5070

Old 07-14-2006, 08:07 PM

I believe its hose #5 in box #4. It dumps ALOT OF fuel after i ride it up the street, stop, then sit it on the kickstand and it just POURS out. I'm not sure why its doing this, it was running fine until I took the tank off for the first time and poured a SMALL amount of seafoam into each carb.

Old 07-17-2006, 08:10 PM

hmmm,

looked in the manual and didn't find any specific cause to your problem. but i suspect it as do you probably that one or both of the carbs maybe having an issue. i think it may have something to do with the gas regulation within the carb body possibly the float being improperly set or the jetting is not correct. i am not sure how seafoam would cause a problem unless as it was "cleaning" the carb, it cleaned out problematic buildup that didn't seem to be a problem before. at this point i would take the carbs off and rebuild them.