CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Introduction and Needing Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction and Needing Some Help

First off I want to say what a great forum, can't believe it tookme this long to find it. My name is Justin and I am getting my PhD in Mechanical engineering and I am the proud owner of two Hurricane F1's.

The first one is a 1987 with 5200 miles and it currently resides in a 1952 harley davidson panhead rigid frame with 50 degrees of rake. Sprung seat, sportster tank, duel heater core radiators, no front brake, dual rear brembos ect ect. This one ran great before starting this project. I hope to have this one done in the next couple of months.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...8/DSC_0244.jpg

The second one is the one I am needing some input on. It also is a 1987 Hurricane bought it with some clutch issues (so he said) and a dead battery. Got it home took off the side cover and noticed the bearing on the push plate was missing, replaced that, charged the battery and it started on the first hit. However there is a random clunking noise coming from the transmission half of the engine, with it in neutral clutch in or out it made no differnce and neither did reving it a little. Frustrated I decided to put it in gear and make sure the clutch was working and when I put it in first the noise went away (so much so that I could hear a little valve tick, I assuem they need adjusting). I was just wondering if anyone could have an idea of what could be making the noise, I pretty much have eliminated gears (if it were gears it would be a steady noise IE repeatable, as of now it is random meaning no even time intervals between clunks), some one here at school mentioned possibly the cam chain but again why would shifting into gear cause this to stop, I am thinking is could be something in the shift forks or possiblly the drum. If anyone has had any simular problems please let me know what it was. Thanks in advance for any help!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j2...8/DSC_0296.jpg

Old 08-11-2008, 02:26 PM
Default RE: Introduction and Needing Some Help

If it sounds like a horrible rattling noise until you get a load on it?It sounds like the cam chain tensioner (CCT). It has a hydraulic one that may be worn out. If so, it takesa little time to pressure up, it it's not completely worn out.

Does the noise go away after a few minutes?

Old 08-11-2008, 02:37 PM

I do not know, I will try that this afternoon. I only let it run for a couple of mins, I know it was warm though. Do you know of a way to check for a sloppy chain with out tearing it all apart? Thanks

Old 08-11-2008, 02:46 PM

I just bought an 87 600f a few months ago. It had a horrible rattling sound everytime I would start it up. Got online looking for one thing and came across the cam chain noise. They said you could pick up a manual one on eBay for about $50. I purchased one and it got rid of the noise. See the recent feed in here about CCT.

A week after I replaced the CCT the head gasket went. I just got the head off Saturday and ordered the gasket kit today. It was already starting to go before I replaced the CCT. It was starting to run warm in the evenings. Me replaceing the CCT increased the power and I was running at about 8k rpms for about 10-15 min on the way to work and think that's what finished it off.

You working on your PHD for ME? I'm a mech designer.

Nice projects. I am planning on building a Harley. Just not sure when I will be able to get started on the project. To many irons in the fire already.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:06 PM

Well guys found out what it was and I am not happy to say, I will have to either crack the cases or buy a new engine. I pulled the oil pan and was surprised when I found the missing cluch bearing in the pan, along with a bunch of *****, two inner races and alot of trash (bad sign number one). Then I started looking into the case (amazingly everything looks real clean) and decided to shift into gears and rotate the rear tire to see if something was a miss (by the way I had the bike hanging in a huge tree at my house by two 2000lb rachet straps). I put it into first and start to rotate it while looking and all of a sudden it slips (I had the clutch pulled in) then it grabs, I look closely at first gear and low and behold it is missing three teeth in a row. All the others seem fine. This would make sense why it only made the noise while in neutral. If anyone has replaced the trans let me know how bad it was and if you know what the part numbers is for first gear. or if any of you know of a good running engine please let me know. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM

Sorry to hear that.

Attached is a schematic found here...

http://www.cyclepartsnation.com/page...d/7/Honda.aspx

you can gothere and put in the info for your bike and go to the section for transmission.

Find your part number and either order it through them or go here and you can save a little...

http://www.servicehonda.com/parts.php

the servicehonda.com is a little cheaper but it makes it easier if you have a part number to cut and paste into their system. You can get the part number from that first website above.

You may want to contact them before you order it to make sure they have it.

I have talked to a guy there called Jordan. His email is jordan@servicehonda.com

I saw a moter for sale on eBay the other day. I can check if it's still there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/28770/D882C6146CC34A879C8A5D59AE57A4D9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 PM

some of the other guys in here turned me onto the servicehonda.com site. has the best deals on OEM partsI've been able to find so far.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:07 PM

Here are the links totwo motors I have seen in the past few weeks on eBay.

If the links don't work then cut and paste the numbers in eBay search engine.

This first one is supposed to run and is an ended auction that didn't sell. After I blew my head gasket I contacted the guy to find out how many miles were on it for incase I did more damage then the head gasket. I think it had 43k miles.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll% 3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37.l1313%26satitle%3D150 274464680%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1&item=150274 464680

This second one doesn't run but the price to purchase is cheap. It says local pickup only and then says it's in a container and can be shipped. So you may need to contact him.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&ru=http%3 A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll% 3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37.l1313%26satitle%3D120 293743548%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1&item=120293 743548

But it sounds as though you like projects and rebuilding the motor and trans you have would be a project if you have the time.

Hope you can get it going.

Old 08-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Registered Users

Ebay has a lot of transmissions for sale, and they are cheap too.