CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Introduction

G'day folks
I'm a newish CBR owner, having bought (for a song, almost literally !) an '87 1000 F that had been dropped off a trailer, then left to stand for a couple of years. I am building a streetfighter from it (photos can follow shortly), and progress is good, she's looking slick for an old girl. . . . but I have a problem !
The fuel pump sustained some damage in the fall, but worked fine and didn't leak , until now ! It was always one of the things that bugged me about the bike, does it really NEED a fuel pump ? It appears to me that the fuel tap outlet sits comfortably above the float bowl deck height, so gravity feed should suffice , should it not ? Or are they pressurised bowl carburettors ?
This is probably a stupid question, but any help would be appreciated.
Thanks. Greg (AKA Mongrel, coz that's what I have on the rego plate of the cbr)

Old 11-02-2008, 11:20 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Introduction

Welcome to the Forum !
I've always looked at it this way - If the bike didn't need one, the little oriental felows wouldn't have fitted it !
You will hear stories about guys who have removed them, how successfully I don't know.......
.later models didn't have them, but maybe have bigger fuel hoses to improve fuel flow ? Again, don't know.
I saw a fuel pump on e-Bay not 24 hours ago, I'll see if I can locate it.
I'd run the pump if it was me......

Old 11-03-2008, 12:57 AM

I'll give you $5000 for your fuel pump, Yubugger..........
If you can find it.......
[8D]

Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome Greg

In Australia, Steve Hassold, AKA, bluebeard,
https://cbrforum.com/showprofile.asp?memID=18179,
in Adelaide has same model as you and in my opinion has best engineering understanding of this model. Look at his posts
https://cbrforum.com/searchpro.asp?a...rd&top=100
and pm him your details - he has been a great help to me ..... although I dont have same model.

PS - UPDATE YOUR "MY PROFILE" DETAILS. FORUM MEMBERS USE THIS INFO TO BE OF MORE ASSISTANCE TO YOU.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 AM

Fuel pump

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...=p4506.c0.m245

Knew it was there.......

Old 11-03-2008, 02:18 AM

G'day guys,
I'm overwhelmed by the response ! Thanks to all, and I will certainly be following up on the links and suggestions. (wish I'd been a bit quicker to acceptShadow 1's5 grand for my leaky fuel pump tho ! sh*t !)I already checked out the ebay post, but unfortunately it wasn't for a fuel pump, just the point switch that activates it. I guess that's what normally fails on the buggers. . . .however mine is cracked and leaking. One of the main reasons I wanted to do away with it was that I have removed the whole subframe, and built a cantilevered truss style subframe (a la Duke Monster main frame principal ), and the clunky great pump was hard to mount unobtrusively. . . . . Generally,I would absolutely agree about the principal of retaining it if Mr Honda put it there in the first place. . . . ( he spent the millions of yen on R&D, why wouldn't I cash in on that ! ? I have retained everything else mechanical and electrical , albeit in some very different locations , for that reason ), except that I dont have one, and there is talk of 600 bucks for a replacement. . . . that's more than I paid for the bike , actually, a lot more !
I can only think that there would be the possibility of fuel starvation without it on long or steep downhills, when the float bowl deck height becomes higher than the fuel tap ?
Again, thanks guys, and I'll post some pics soon as I can.
cya Greg

Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Greg -

I'm uploadingthecomplete Haynes W/shop maunal for you in pdf....

http://tinyurl.com/67k3z7

In the meantime here are the 2 pages you need.. http://tinyurl.com/5q42ss

Pages 4.4 on will be of help... they show the differences between the models....

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 AM

Oh, and I also meant to thank CBR Classic for his advice about keeping the rubber side pointing downwards. . . . .as I sit here in plaster with a couple of juicy fractures in my ankle from a massive cartwheeling crash on my '07 TE 510 Husky (the true love of my life !) courtesy of a square edged erosion rut, and a severe lack of good judgement ! Oh well, at least it only happens once every 6 or 7 years ! At 47 years of age, you'd reckon I'd know better hey ?
Also, how do I get the pretty pic up under my handle ?

Quick Reply: Introduction