CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

idle problems, and shifting after a crash.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle problems, and shifting after a crash.

I crashed my 88 600f a few days ago. It was a lowside onto the left side of the bike. Slid on the left side for a good 10ft. The left side fairing has substantial damage and will need replacing. But there's a couple problems im now having with the bike that werent present before the crash.

1. I have to give the bike more gas upon startup, and after startup, the bike idles really low. Even with the choke on, the rpms are way lower. Also after startup, It seems i have to give the engine some throttle to keep the rpms up, otherwise it just stall n dies. But i can keep it going with the throttle. Someone mentioned to me that I can adjust the idle screw/switch. Could this be the problem? where can I find this?

2. second thing i notice, is that from shifting into first is noticeably harder than before the crash. Its not enough to make it incredibly difficult to shift, but more like i have to give it a slight stomp. It is harder than before. What could the problem be here? is there anything else i need to check for? could this be a bigger problem affecting other gears?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. And I am new to bikes so, i'll need a lot of help.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: idle problems, and shifting after a crash.

idle adjustment is located on left side. look between bottom of carbs and engine and you should see a rubber tube with a **** on the end hanging around. that is the idle adjustment.

i think maybe you should look at clutch lever, actually the clutch cable adjustment on the lever. maybe tighten it a half or full turn then try to engage 1st. also lever could be messed up, not pulling clutch in all the way to engage gear.

oh, look at shift lever to see that it is not bent or that the shift shaft that the shift lever mounts to is not bent or took a hit. make sure that the shift lever has a full range of motion. could be hung up somehow when you low-sided.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: idle problems, and shifting after a crash.

Thanks for the reply.

The problem with the shifting was fixed by adjusting the clutch cable at the handlebar.

As for the idle, I adjusted the idle screw to get the idle around 1500rpms.

Even though I got the idle adjusted, the engine cant seem to hold a steady rpm. The needle on the tach fluctuates. And sometimes even dips below 1500 and rises back up after i give it some throttle. The rpm fluctuations arent very extreme, around 100-300rpms.

What should I do to get my bike to idle at a steady rpm? What should I check, and what maintenence would be required? Any help would be appreciated.