CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

How To: CCT

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How To: CCT

to do mine I took out the carbs and left the side fairings on, but I needed to take out the carbs and rejet them anyways. I jsut put the old cct on, and my noise is gone. I guess there is something wrong with the new one, or the old cam chain. something is up, but I will just ride it with the old cct for now, season is winding down for me

Old 10-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Default RE: How To: CCT

Today I changed my CCT with a new oem part. Took off the left fairings, unbolted the cct, andused a small prybar to gently pop it loose. The gasket remained in one peice, stuck to the engine, so i reused the old. I didn't see a torque in the manual, so idid 9 ft/lbs, same as any other6mm bolt. With the ignition off, i cranked the engine a couple times to prime the oil. Fired it up and my noise is gone.
I think i might have been able to just clean and reuse the old cct. it started moving freelyonce i pumped all the dirty oil out.I'd add flushing it to a maintenance check.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Default CCT: Make you own manual CCT question

I've been reading the posts on CCT. I've searched the posts on CCT. I can find one mention of how to take your own stock CCT and make it into a mechanical CCT - but I can not find the post anywhere!!

To be clear, I don't want to buy a mechanical CCT, I want to take my own stock CCT and convert it into a mechanical CCT.

Can anyone point me to the actual post describing this process? Thanks, Rob.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:41 AM

See my post (no. 8) at https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f-15/new-cct-question-not-covered-cct-main-post-88571/.

If there's enough interest I'll do a sketch of the guts of the thing for yez.

Last edited by Gearloose; 03-24-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:47 PM

yes, very easy. It only takes as long as it takes you to wrench out two bolts.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:11 PM
Default Different CCT

My CCT went bad yesterday so swapped in another from a spare engine..

However it is slightly different...

It has the automatic CCT piston end on it (engine side)

On the outside it has a bolt with a nut on it...

Not sure if this is right or not but put it in and works fine.. anyone got one of these?? Is this a modified one?

When I push the piston in it doesnt go all the way in (about half way).. The standard one goes all the way in..

Any ideas peep?

Cheers

Old 05-14-2010, 02:52 AM

The CCT with the centre bolt is a modified one. Make sure you back that bolt off (screw it almost right out) before installing the CCT or it may overtension and wreck the chain when you do the 2 bolts up. There's a couple of posts on how to adjust the bolt to get the tension right.

Old 01-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Anyone not familliar with motorcycles:

I saw the pics in the first post and got freaked out thinking I had to take off the cylinder head cover and adjust the cam chain and all that stuff. So I put off looking at my CCT for about 8 months even when it was making a feirce racket.
If you are like me and dreading doing anything invasive because you only have a parking lot to work in and rudimentary mechanical skills, listen up:
Disreguard those picures, I they will F with your head. This is as easy as cake, if you can take off your fairings you can change your CCT.

Step 1: Take off your fairings
Step 2: look under your seat where it touches the gas tank, right below that the CCT is sticking out of the engine next to a hose, just waiting to be futzed with.

I spent about ten minutes cursing Honda for writing the manual the way they did when I figured out how easy it was to change. In my case a previous owner put too much RTV on it when re-installing and it got in the little oil pressure hole. After peeling all the gunk off of the CCT and the gasket, the gasket was still fine, so I put it together and the rattle is pretty much gone now.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just as an FYI for anyone doing this procedure. If you are changing your CAM CHAIN TENSIONER you are required to remove your intake cam sprocket and slide it out of the way. The tensioner is the one inside the engine. It has a wear resistant coating on it that also allows the cam chain to slide along it easier with the help of oil. This surface WILL wear through after years of use so you may want to change it.

What people commonly refer to as the CCT is the ADJUSTER which is directly below the carbs and pushes on the tensioner. Be careful when installing a manual adjuster, it is in fact NOT an adjuster as it doesnt adjust to various rpm ranges. When you have the machine at WOT it has the same pressure on your cam chain as it does at idle. This constant pressure, if there is too much can cause premature wear on your Cam Chain Tensioner then leading to premature wear on your camchain. Also something to note, you SHOULD hear some clicking comming from the engine, that means your valves are adjusted properly. If there is no click, get your valves set ASAP because one or more of them could snap in 2 at any moment.

The following users liked this post:
beezel (12-14-2022)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 AM

Couple Questions regarding the cct.
Mine has what looks to be an o ring that only goes half way around? It looks to go inside of the "piston". When I push mine down outside of the bike it will spit out the oil and start to suck air, other than that it seems to be smooth now that I put some fresh oil in it.
Can anyone tell me if those are issues?