CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

How To: CCT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I start up my bike I hear a lot of chatter, sounds like misadjusted valves rapping along. Once bike warms up it lessens, but never really goes away. Should I be looking at replacing the CCT? Also is there a spec for the valves (i.e. using a feeler gauge) or is it just a torque spec?

I recently moved and don't have the bike with me at them moment, but looking forward to getting it down here to sunny FL from the northeast.

Old 03-20-2012, 11:22 AM

In my experience the valve noise will stay there but the cct noise will go away when you get up to speed, say above 20 mph.

It should be pretty easy to find a pdf copy of the service manual, the specs for valve adjustment are in there.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM

How often should you replace the cam chain? Also where would I find new guides? Also if the CCT feels fine but has 30,000 miles on it should I still replace?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by xamdarb
Couple Questions regarding the cct.
Mine has what looks to be an o ring that only goes half way around? It looks to go inside of the "piston". When I push mine down outside of the bike it will spit out the oil and start to suck air, other than that it seems to be smooth now that I put some fresh oil in it.
Can anyone tell me if those are issues?
Hi XAMDARB,

The "o ring" you can see, if I remember correctly, is a kind of circlip / spring clip that holds the piston in the CCT adjuster housing when it's taken off your engine.

My '88 had a noisy chain and awkward bugger that I am, I didn't believe people who said a knackered adjuster had to be binned. It was coming off anyway, so I tried dismantling it, cleaning thoroughly and putting it back together. Once the old oil and gunge were gone it moved smoothly; refitted it, changed the oil (suspect the prev owner hadn't done this in a few years) and the rattle has gone.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM

anyone had it become noisier after fitting an oem cct? seems to warm up and stop clattering, but the old one doesnt need to warm up... thoughts?