CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

To gravity feed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Dennis, nowhere did I say it was ok to run gravity feed fuel for the CBR600. If your comprehension is up-to-scratch you will note I said "Just as an added bit of info dunl, the CBR1000F 87/88 came with a fuel pump, which was deleted for all models after (89-97). Many of the 87/88 owners used gravity fed when the pump eventually failed with no adverse effects"

You do see the "Just as an added bit of info" bit don't you?

I'm not throwing my weight around, merely providing information and countering erroneous assumptions on your part.

I've PM'd you. If you wish to discuss this further respond there.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-14-2017, 08:05 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You muddied up the thread with information that implied it was ok to run gravity feed on a CBR 600...you said nothing about the fact that a CBR 600 is not the same as a CBR 1000 because it has no vacuum petcock. This assumes that the OP understands this.

Too often on the web people are sent down the wrong path by this sort of post. That was what I took exception with. I stated that you were mistaken for the CBR 600 which is accurate. Maybe you could explain why later CBR 600's went to a vacuum petcock only to change back to a fuel pump.

Last edited by dennisgb; 09-14-2017 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Not if they can read Dennis. I politely asked you to respond via PM.

If you want to take this any further I strongly suggest you do it via PM.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:09 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry for all that, Duni.

To answer your question, and this is my opinion, is that it's fine to run on gravity feed for testing. You may run into fuel starvation problems when running low on gas and/or at high RPMs in long hard turns. Or you may not.... But it will work fine while you sort out your issues.

The carbs will hold back the fuel, but if it's going to be parked shut the fuel off. It's a good practice anyway.

It came with a pump, so I would get one back on there for the long term. It's up to you though.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, thanks for all the info, from everyone - in m opinion, every bit of knowledge is valuable. It will be a while before I get her going anyway, as I have a fuel petcock and windshield ordered, can NOT for the life of me find a set of original mirrors, and might as well order a fuel pump while I am at it.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From personal experience, its worth using a pump, but the CORRECT one. My cbr600 came with a electronic pump that put out 5psi of pressure. It over powered the floats on the carbs and would flood out at idle. So to save it running super rich i removed the pump and ran it gravity. The flooding at idle was solved, but then if u cruise at more than 6krpm, and u have less than half a tank, it will start to missfire and run low on fuel.. I bought a $25 dollar fuel pump that was most prob made in china. They are apparently known to short circuit and catch fire, so i made an inline low amp fuse to make it safe. Ive not had a problem with it yet. Also my petcock was blocked and rubbish, $15 dollar one from china and hey presto

Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 PM

Well, update, new petcock, and it still leaks....seems to be from inside the area behind the two screws (simple fix, useless Chinese crap...???)

I also have a fuel relay, but for the life of me I couldn't find where to plug it in?

Old 10-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As regards Relay and position

Attached Thumbnails To gravity feed or not?-fuel-pump.png   To gravity feed or not?-relay.png  
Old 10-06-2017, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Apparently someone is manufacturing new ones. I just found them on Ebay. They even have a new fuel pump points kit. That is what normally fails on the pump. They look correct and at $16.00 might be worth a shot!
https://www.ebay.com/sch/eBay-Motors...rs=spell_check

Old 10-07-2017, 04:15 PM

CaBaRet, thanks for the diagram.

The fuel petcock is what is still leaking, unfortunately I had a real hard time finding a supplier, and ordered one from California....looks like a Chinese knockoff that someone probably imported.

Is it possible to take them apart and reseal them? I assume it is leaking from a gasket under the cover with the two little screws on it.

Oh, and in other news....I know have a learner's license.

Quick Reply: To gravity feed or not?