CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

To gravity feed or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default To gravity feed or not?

Hi all,

Second day Hurricane owner here. The bike is a project, and the PO mentioned that when misted the engine would catch. He believed the problem to be the fuel pump.

Now I know it can be bypassed, but the question is, SHOULD I bypass it or not? Is there any benefits to this compared to getting another pump?

Thanks

Old 09-10-2017, 09:10 PM

Well, good news, the PO sold the bike to me because it would not start. Gravity feed bypass, started on the third try, and sounds very smooth to my uneducated ears.

Unfortunately the petcock from the tank leaks, so unless I want to be the hottest rider around, I need to get that replaced. lol

Old 09-11-2017, 11:22 AM

"Is this thing on? "

New here....is this forum pretty active, or is there another CBR forum that is more active on the web somewhere? Thanks

Old 09-12-2017, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi , sorry you've not been answered , but I will do my best, as regards the gravity feed ,that's Ok as long as its short term for testing etc, if you forget to turn off your tank feed ,that can cause other problems, so I would get your petcock sorted first then see about another pump , always better in my view to have one, that way you only get the fuel that you need to the carbs

Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Cabaret. Contrary to what people will tell you running gravity feed is not a good idea. It will starve for fuel at higher rpm's. They put the pump on there for a reason.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:26 PM

Okay, thanks for the replies and info guys, much appreciated.

And 'm not getting impatient....I was just wondering how active this forum actually was.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Just as an added bit of info dunl, the CBR1000F 87/88 came with a fuel pump, which was deleted for all models after (89-97). Many of the 87/88 owners used gravity fed when the pump eventually failed with no adverse effects.

Cheers, SB

Old 09-13-2017, 06:03 PM

If you go back in the Honda tech archives you will find that the original CBR 600 Hurricane came without a fuel pump. Customer complaints about fuel starvation forced Honda to add a fuel pump. This has been discussed quite a bit over the years and I have never heard what you just posted Sebationbear. I think you are mistaken. The fuel feed becomes compromised at higher RPM and when the fuel tank runs low because head pressure from the fuel in the tank is reduced. The pump is there only to maintain constant pressure and that is why it is such a low PSI. If you want to compromise your engine at high rpm (a point where running lean could be disastrous) go right ahead...but like I said earlier, the pump was put on there for a reason.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes Dennis it's worth reading more and posting less. I am NOT mistaken.

Do a search on the CBR1000F and using gravity feed for fuel delivery. And keep in mind that ALL CBR1000Fs from 1989 on were gravity fed - with a vacuum actuated petcock to stop cylinder filling.

You're welcome.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:11 AM

This is a CBR600 thread. According to your expert opinion using the CBR1000 as your reasoning, it's ok to run gravity feed on an early CBR600? That's nice. I disagree and your throwing your weight around doesn't change my mind. There are multiple reasons not the least of which is the lack of a vacuum petcock which was the first thing discussed.

Because you are a moderator with 4500 posts you think you can stifle others opinions? This forum is almost dead as it is...I'll be posting less after this dude. There are better places to get information on the web.

Quick Reply: To gravity feed or not?