CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Fork springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
idk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fork springs

Ordered a new set of progressive springs and went to get prices on oil seal and install of the springs figured since they had them apart wouldent be a big deal. The place I usualy have put tires on for me quoted me that it would be and extra 2 hours of labor to replace the springs ifI had them do the fork seals. From what I've gathered so far is that when doing fork seals dont you have to pretty much have to tear down the whole fork and pull the spring? Also fron my searching on the forum Ive foundsome post showing that you can change the spring with the forks on the bike by removing the top caps and getting the front wheel off the ground is this also true to the 87? I can probly rig something up to hold the front end up for long enough to do it that way if thats the case but for the fork seals I thinkI may get in a bit over my head on. Better to have it done right then to buy all the tools mess it up and have to pay more to have it done right untillI can find someone local to con into teaching me .

Old 01-20-2009, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fork springs

if you can support your bike with the front tire off the ground, you can change your springs and seals easy. take your front tire off, bring it to the dealer, and get some fork oil.

remove 6mm allen head bolt from inside bottom of slider. remove top caps, and springs. drain fluid from forks. carefully pry up top dust seal. remove inner retaining clip. remove brake calipers. now pull down firmly with quick in and out strokes,on the slider until it frees up from the fork tube. loosen thetripple clamp pinch bolts, remove fork tube from bike, remove old seal. lubricate new seal, and wipe the chrome with fork oil, install in reverse order.

get a few cans of brake parts cleaner. clean out any crud inside the tubes and on the forks. use a piece of pvc pipe toseat the fork seal in the slider. the only other special tool you will need is a 6mm allen head 3/8 drive socket.

once you get the tire and fender off, it should only take about an hour for each fork tube doing it your first time. do one side at a time, make sure you put it back together the same as it came apart. search for the manual online if you dont have one. its not that hard of a job.