CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Finally got a CBR....88 CBR 600 Hurricane Street fighter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got a CBR....88 CBR 600 Hurricane Street fighter

Hey guys...

Been on here for awhile just haven't posted much. Almost became the owner of a 98 CBR600F3 Smokin joes but that deal went south at the last moment. I have recently bought a 1988 CBR 600 Hurricane that has been done up as a street fighter.

CBR 600 F4i solo tail section
Shortened and gutted Yoshimura muffler
Pass pegs removed
Chassis and forks painted black
Dirtbike headlight
Signal indicators in upper triple clamp

It currently needs:

Tail/brake light
Rear turn signals
Speedometer
front fender
carb job

Pictures from the night it came home. Will post some day light pics soon

Planned mods list:

Replace the front fender/fork brace assembly
make a filler plate for under the tail and provide a mount point for tail lights.
Replace the acerbis Cyclops headlight with a normal round 5" or 7" head light
Install a national cycle flyscreen once i find a dealer for them
Install a Veypor VR2 digital motorcycle computer
Replace the fork seals and refill forks with heavier fork oil
Clean carbs and rejet to take advantage of the other mods on the bike.

The plan for the tail lights is to buy two round tail lights from one of the motorcycle catilogues at the local dealership and make a filler plate that fits in the cut out in the F4i tail. What i may also try to do is add an integrator to make the tail lights also function as turnsignals at the rear. I plan on keeping the LED strips that the previous owner installed on top of the tail as secondary signal lights. Im still debating on keeping the bike the color it is now and just sanding the top of the tank then applying black vinyl or just repainting the tank and seat a different color. Im also considering getting some header wrap and wrapping the header on it.

Ok i have a question about the front end..is there not a brace where the fender mounts? I know my old VF750F has a brace that bolts to the fork tubes as part of the fender assembly as well as my old CB750 had a brace as part of the fender. But Do our CBRs have one there? Each diagram and pic of the front end i have seen so far just shows the fender bolts there but no metal bracing at all. Am i missing something here?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:06 PM

My 87 had a little brace there not sure if they changed something on the year after. I was able to take the fender off and keep the brace in place. I'm sure it is important for stability. All the cafe forums I look at tell people to make one or leave it in place if they take off the front fender on the old CB 750s.

Maybe instead of vinyl you could do this:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-fiber-116926/
I think it would look good with the wrapped headers. I just got some wrap for mine. I'll post some pictures when I finish wrapping them so you see how it looks.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:41 PM

looks cool. I would definetly ditch that headlight and paint or wrap the header. I used the black 2000 degree paint from autozone on mine and it looks much better than it did when it was all dirty and rusty. The painted fork tubes looks pretty wierd id hit it with some steel wool.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by davideokills
My 87 had a little brace there not sure if they changed something on the year after. I was able to take the fender off and keep the brace in place. I'm sure it is important for stability. All the cafe forums I look at tell people to make one or leave it in place if they take off the front fender on the old CB 750s.

Maybe instead of vinyl you could do this:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...-fiber-116926/
I think it would look good with the wrapped headers. I just got some wrap for mine. I'll post some pictures when I finish wrapping them so you see how it looks.
Thanks for the info! i will def need to give it some thought either 'glass or CF! I can def see doing the CF method to my VF750 tank to hide the dent in it! Whats even better is i have a couple VF750 tanks i can practice this on with fiber glass cloth!

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
looks cool. I would definetly ditch that headlight and paint or wrap the header. I used the black 2000 degree paint from autozone on mine and it looks much better than it did when it was all dirty and rusty. The painted fork tubes looks pretty wierd id hit it with some steel wool.
How well is that header paint holding up? I would def consider that method as well if it held up well enough. Though i could see doing a combination of painting/wrapping. Painting the flanges and areas i cant cover with the wrap.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by outlawz24
How well is that header paint holding up? I would def consider that method as well if it held up well enough. Though i could see doing a combination of painting/wrapping. Painting the flanges and areas i cant cover with the wrap.
well i cant say its stood the test of time since its only been on since july-ish but so far its held up excellent. No chips or discoloration as of yet. i put like 6 coats on but its different than most spray paint. it comes out like water and evaporates in like 10 minutes leaving the exhaust the color of the paint, each coat getting darker and darker. id suggest 2 cans for the header itself.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
well i cant say its stood the test of time since its only been on since july-ish but so far its held up excellent. No chips or discoloration as of yet. i put like 6 coats on but its different than most spray paint. it comes out like water and evaporates in like 10 minutes leaving the exhaust the color of the paint, each coat getting darker and darker. id suggest 2 cans for the header itself.
Cool i will def consider it then! What i may do this winter is pull the header off and take it to a local sand blasting place and get it blasted before painting it in header paint. Then after thats dried add the header wrap over top of that.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:13 AM

On thursday i finally finished fitting the taillight/plate mount. Wound up going a different route then originally planned there in terms of mounting it. Wound up taking the tabs that held the old set up on and bolting them to a different mount point on the chassis. So now at this point it looks like i may need to drill new holes in the plate once i insure the bike...No worries..I also got some pics of how the F4i tail was fitted to the bike and after studying that set up i dont think i will be changing that at all. Its actually fairly well set up. Anyways on to the pics...

To start with here are the tail mounting pics

The Tab that is bolted to the cross member with the two holes in it facing towards the rear of the bike is the main mount point for the tail. you can also see the stacked alumunum pieces that hold the CBR 900 seat down as well as the tab added at the end of the tank to hold the CBR 900 seat at the front.

The metal crossmember on the tail is what bolts to the tab on the chassis. There are also two holes in the front part of the tail that bolt to two original mount points on the chassis. All in all a very secure setup.

Now onto the tail light itself

and Finally a pic of the CBR with my Interceptor and my GMC project truck

Tonight i picked up a Bates style headlight and some headlight mounting ears from my buddy who builds custom choppers, he wanted the dirt bike headlight for his latest project and traded this headlight, the mounting tabs and the speedometer from the bike hes working on for the dirt bike light. I have already fitted up the headlight and will be wiring it in on Monday. Turns out the previous builder actually marked what wire did what for the headlights so that makes life a lil bit easier on my end. I just need to determine what wire is what on the headlight itself. Shouldnt be too difficult. I will also need to get different bolts for the headlight mounts mostly due to the ones that were with them being a little too short otherwise the headlight mounts fit nicely. The Speedometer is off of a 1977 Kawasaki KZ400. It has a 3.00-18 front wheel which from what i can tell by reading various tire sites is within .2-.5 of the F1s stock front tire size. So the speedometer should be fairly accurate give or take a couple kms. Monday i am ordering Vortex clip on handle bars and either napoleon or a different style bar end mirrors.

Left to do: Fork seals, Front fender/brace, Carbs, Replace front and rear signal lights....Ride!

Last edited by outlawz24; 01-13-2012 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice project bike!!! Body lines flow nice together with the newer tail!!!!what are your ideas with paint?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by edwardzx7
Nice project bike!!! Body lines flow nice together with the newer tail!!!!what are your ideas with paint?
Thanks! Im more then likely going to stay with the current color for this year. But next year I will prob go with a full blacked out theme like my Interceptor or i may use the same color paint as my integra which is an acura color called Thunder Grey Metallic. Its close in shade to audi Nimbus Grey.

I took these pics last night after my previous post, I know the parts are a lil rusty but im prob gonna wind up hitting them with steel wool and then prob either spray bombing or powder coating the headlight mounts.

I do plan on getting rid of the current signals mostly due to the fact that the one on the left is actually broken, found this out tonight when i removed the dirtbike headlight.

Heres the speedometer.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:52 AM

I just bought an 88 hurricane 600 and im having trouble finding a new tail end for it. I like the stock brake lights but dont have anything covering the wiring and i dont like that. Anybody know where i can find a cheap tail end?