CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Custom fairing/windshield suggestions?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Custom fairing/windshield suggestions?

Hey all, I'm getting geared up to do some work on my '89 when riding season is over and I'm looking for ideas. Here's the bike as it is:

Name:  Honda4.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  50.6 KB

I really like the semi-streetfighter look as it is with no lower fairings, but I do most of my riding on the highway and would like some wind protection up top. Though it looks okay in the pic, the upper fairing is in very poor shape. The part around the headlight is intact but the mirrors are trashed and the dash pieces that fill in the gap between the front fairing and the tank are badly broken and I haven't been able to find replacements. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any mods or aftermarket kits to replace that upper fairing.

For example, I love the look of aitorjc's bike (ordered the same belly pan from ebay hehe) but I think I want a bit more of a windshield:

I'm sure that if a fairing will physically fit around the gauges and handlebars I can come up with a way to mount it . . . of course the less hacking and slashing required the better Any suggestions?

I'm planning to dismantle the bike this winter, have the frame painted black (should be able to get it powdercoated at work very cheaply), put a stock exhaust back on, paint the engine black, install the bellypan and a new swing arm fender, do *something* about the upper fairing/windshield area, and paint the rest of it a nice bright colour.

And of course . . . clean the carbs

Old 08-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I've been doing some reading and apparently the Acerbis headlight is to bikes as Type R stickers are to cars .. . done to death and then some lol. And they don't seem to function well as headlights either. A plain headlight setup is easy and cheap but I do want to have some wind protection. I found this cool kit from airtech, not cheap but it's easy to install and comes with the lights and windscreen. I was thinking of adapting an upper fairing from a later model CBR but this way there's no need to fab brackets.

Here's the Rogue F1 on a CBR1000:

Name:  buellfairing.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  95.3 KB

Name:  buellfairing02.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  84.2 KB

Old 09-01-2009, 03:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... I've never liked the street fighter look, but that airtech upper.... dang. If you go that route you gotta post pics so I can drool.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use any upper you want, you just need to make sure you have clearance for gauges and turn radius, as you stated. The upper inner fairings (the fill pieces by the gauges) are hard to come by. I have some spares, I'm not quite ready to sell them yet....some broken tabs, but I have them, something most people cannot say. I would say find an upper you want, buy it, and then see if it works. You will probably have to build brackets for anything you want to customize, so just go big.