CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch questions

So ive been trying to learn clutch ups recently. the clutch has been going anyway, i figured it was a nice was to kill it

well today i went to do one and it slipped instead of popping the front up as usual

finially died!

so what do i need to order?
bike clutches are a bit different vs car clutched which im familiar with
a car i just grab a new disc and resurface the PP and FW.

how do i do a clutch on the bike?

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 PM

Start by picking up a new gasket for the clutch cover, springs and a new lock washer. I just pulled my clutch out and all the plates were within spec...just the springs were weak. It is a good place to start. If the plates are too thin they will need to be replaced...and nobody sells a kit that I've found. The plates have to be ordered individually through Honda.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:25 PM

you need a micrometer most importantly. stunting a hurricane is stupid if you ask me, I'd rather see an F4i stunted.

but that isnt what yo uasked. you'll need a micrometer and manual to measure specs on your frictions, springs and steels. anything out of spec, replace. even if its just one. period

new springs is 99% of the time a must. get the cover gasket too, you'll need it. mine has never had to come off, and I WANT to keep it that way.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
Start by picking up a new gasket for the clutch cover, springs and a new lock washer. I just pulled my clutch out and all the plates were within spec...just the springs were weak. It is a good place to start. If the plates are too thin they will need to be replaced...and nobody sells a kit that I've found. The plates have to be ordered individually through Honda.
alright, should i not order the friction discs then?

Originally Posted by Bobthebiker
you need a micrometer most importantly. stunting a hurricane is stupid if you ask me, I'd rather see an F4i stunted.

but that isnt what yo uasked. you'll need a micrometer and manual to measure specs on your frictions, springs and steels. anything out of spec, replace. even if its just one. period

new springs is 99% of the time a must. get the cover gasket too, you'll need it. mine has never had to come off, and I WANT to keep it that way.
alright, i have been meaning to buy a new digital micrometer!

im not really stuunting it stunting it. just learning some wheelies on a cheap bike. its naked and cost 500$
id rather try to not drop this so if/when i get a nice bike i can do an occasional wheelie without worrying TOO much about dropping it. i dont think im looking into hardcore stunting :P

i have the PDF manual i suppose i should have looked there to see!

ill probably pull it all apart here in the next few days and begin looking around
this is my first wet clutch setup

Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM

Measure them first... no need to buy them if they are within wear tolerances. My springs had collapsed by almost 2mm.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:33 AM

all I can say is stunting is stunting. even casual wheelies are stunting. its tough on all sorts of components, and dropping is a part of learning the trick.

hence why I have a DR650 in my garage. eventually, it'd ROCK to have a WR250 for stunts... geared with a cage and 12bar.... yeah, I'm nuts.

but back on track. odds are more than likely springs DO need replaced, 99% of the time I check them and they're the biggest issue with any bike I look at where the owner cmplains of a slipping clutch. or they adjust the cable wrong and it has no freeplay.