CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Front Axel - Does this look right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axel - Does this look right?

Hey guys.. just picked this bike up saturday (1989 cbr 600) and was looking over it, and noticed this..

On the right-hand side (if sitting on the bike) the axel has a bolt on it.. BUT on the left-hand side there is no bolt, just the axel sticking out.... Is that right? Also there are holes through that axel... looks like a pin or bolt would go through it? But there is nothing there. Just want to make sure my wheel doesn't go flying off!

Have some pictures.. Can't upload them here at work though. Can later if you guys need me too..

Thanks, hopefully you can make sense of my vague description

Last edited by GMC_Guy77; 09-19-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Banned

Post a pic tonight so I/we can answer for sure

Old 09-19-2011, 04:30 PM

Here are pictures.. First pic is the right side with the bolt. Looks correct. Second pic is the left side... the side I'm worried about. Is there suppose to be a bolt, nut or pin in that?

Also notice the mickey-mouse paperclip wiring through the bolts... what's up with that? :s

First one(with the bolt, looks okay)

Second one (without bolt, is this okay?)

Last edited by GMC_Guy77; 09-19-2011 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is as it should be. The bolt on the one side of the axle, screws into the end of the axle. The both sides are just
pinched by the 2 bolts at the bottom of the fork. It's this way so the 2 forks can properly line up, without stress.
The hole is for a rod to slide in, that keeps the axle from turning when you seat the end-cap bolt.

Here's a front wheel for a 98F3, this is typical of most motorcycles.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=246&B=31
Here is a typical set of front forks.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....=13&A=246&B=29

The first thing I recommend to new owners, buy the factory manual. Even if you don't do the
wrenching yourself, you should be familiar with the machine you ride. If you look around you can find
one on-line. Another resource is the micro-fiches published on-line by the factory parts-dealers.
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm
That's the full line of every motorcycle Honda has manufactured.
This is how folks like me try to keep up with the likes of IDoDirt, GotCBR, etc. ;-)

Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 09-19-2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 09-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Everything looks normal to me. that wire in the axle is likely on other pieces on your bike too, its safety wire, a mandatory thing in some racing classes such as AMA, or CCS, and WERA racing groups. your bike is a retired racebike.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:48 PM

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. Didn't want my wheel to go flying off

MadHattr059 thanks for the detailed info. I actually do have a copy of the owners manual the shows the parts diagram but couldn't quite make sense of it (my knowledge lies in electronics, not mechanics). You're absolutely right though, that every rider should know their bike, even if there are not doing the wrenching. That's why I'm here, researching and learning

Bobthebiker, aren't all street-driven CBRs retired race bikes?

Old 12-04-2011, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebiker
Everything looks normal to me. that wire in the axle is likely on other pieces on your bike too, its safety wire, a mandatory thing in some racing classes such as AMA, or CCS, and WERA racing groups. your bike is a retired racebike.

dude, look at the wire. that was most likely done by some bozo who wanted to make his bike look race ready. that's no way to do safety wire, and i seriously doubt it would pass a race inspection. although, if it's not the original racers work, and maybe the seller tried to fill the holes the best he could, i will give the benefit of the doubt on it being a race bike. i'm still leaning bozo though.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:49 AM

I dont really feel like arguing about it, but I'd believe it'd pass inspection. but IS very halfassed compared to the person I'd pay to safety wire any bike I wanted to actually race in a competition.

but if you were tryng to drill those dished center bolts, good luck, its a frustrating task.