CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

CBR600F-H Wiring Loom

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR600F-H Wiring Loom

Hi Everyone,

First of all im new here so hope you can all help me and maybe you can be a part of what im attempting to do.

I was recently given a 87 cbr600f and its in a very bad state. Basically a lot of the original features are gone and its been converted into a street fighter, with some modern parts bolted on from newer CBR's my current task is to get the thing running, but at the moment i only have the bits to get the engine running i don't have much in regards to the headlights and clocks and what not.

My next question is how much of the loom can i get rid of, because at the minute im looking at a lot of wires and they aren't doing very much.

I have thought about taking it back to original but it would be cheaper to buy one from ebay, at this point i might as well see what i can with what i have and it has cost me next to nothing so far.

Here is a wiring diagram: I have two looms so don't mind butchering one of them.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No picture Connor, but depends on what you want to do with the bike, I would be tempted to leave the loom alone just fold back the parts you don't need, but if you start cutting the loom remember some off shoots are spliced in , have a look at the wiring diagram first

Old 07-05-2017, 04:04 PM

Here's the direct link, Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet the current problem im having is this is my first project so its probably natural for someone who has done this before to be able to work everything out, but im trying to get the engine to turn over through the starter button at the moment and id like to rule out anything and everything on the loom and build up from scratch, but the loom to me is pretty complex, it could be much simpler in my eyes

Old 07-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jardine12
but the loom to me is pretty complex, it could be much simpler in my eyes
I remember thinking that on an old Harley I was rebuilding, and then I tried to make my own wiring harness to replace the OEM. It wasn't quite as easy as it looked and after playing with it for a while I just bought an aftermarket direct replacement. Turns out those engineering guys actually know what they are doing sometimes.

Good luck with the project. I concur with "leave the loom alone, use what you need, and tie off the rest". You may want those wires down the road if you start adding stock components back in.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Jardine12
Here's the direct link, Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet the current problem im having is this is my first project so its probably natural for someone who has done this before to be able to work everything out, but im trying to get the engine to turn over through the starter button at the moment and id like to rule out anything and everything on the loom and build up from scratch, but the loom to me is pretty complex, it could be much simpler in my eyes
Here is your basic Ignition layout, but you got to remember that other faults will stop your ignition from running, so at least set this part up , and when it wont start check the fault conditions in the manual

Attached Thumbnails CBR600F-H Wiring Loom-capture.png  
Old 07-06-2017, 04:18 PM

I have just had another look tonight and im trying to get everything connected that would have an effect on the ignition system, at this very time there is still no life when pressing the ignition switch but I've definitely got power because we kept blowing fuses when we turned the key, so we figured that out and that had something to do with the fan motor. so that has stopped now. My problem is I have no lights as i don't have the original so i cant check that part of the loom is working correctly, so i just need to figure out what is getting power and what isn't.

The starter motor turns, the solenoid clicks as it should, I've looked at the main 30A fuse but I've not replaced it. It looks okay and if i remember rightly the multi-meter also read that the fuse was okay.

I really am stumped right now...

Old 07-06-2017, 06:42 PM

Also in regards to the ignition system, what actually needs to be connected for the system to at least turn over, At the minute I am currently trying to get the starter button to just turn the engine over, once I have managed that it should be plain sailing for me. I seen the ignition system image above, but does all that need to be connected as the starter motor isn't part of that diagram?

Old 07-07-2017, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Hi , which fuses keep blowing,sounds like an earth problem, once you have found the fuse that blows trace that through on the wiring diagram to find the short, the big fuse at the starter relay is 30a , is that the one that's blowing, heres the starter circuit, have you got a manual

Attached Thumbnails CBR600F-H Wiring Loom-starter.png  
Old 07-07-2017, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet
Hi , which fuses keep blowing,sounds like an earth problem, once you have found the fuse that blows trace that through on the wiring diagram to find the short, the big fuse at the starter relay is 30a , is that the one that's blowing, heres the starter circuit, have you got a manual

the fuse that was blowing was for the fan, which is now sorted, I do have a manual but right now it's no use, I'm currently trying to get it to turn over through the starter button, I know the solonoid works correctly as I've jumped that and it clicked as it should, ye starter motor turns fine as I've also jumped that. I've got a problem somewhere between the solonoid and the starter button. I just need to know exactly what is vital for me to have the bike turning over

Old 07-07-2017, 06:24 AM

Anyone got a pic of the neutral switch and what it connects to in the loom? That could be problem as I've not actually come across that yet

Quick Reply: CBR600F-H Wiring Loom