CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Carb syncing further question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb syncing further question

Hi yall, not exactly new here but I don't post much. I'm riding an 88 600. I've got a question about using sync gauges. The needle kind. I bought the bike about 2yrs ago and had carbs rebuilt but never synced on bike. Ran just ok. Any finally took carbs apart to up the jets and figures it was about time to sync'em. So i bought a 4 gauge sync kit. Hooked it all up and warmed up engine. Opened valves and the needles are fluxuating wildly. Is the idle too low? Hard to tell what my idle is because I have a digital "vaporŽ" tach that reads impedance across plug wire and the wires are capacitated. Don't know if that matters.
So to the point. Should just I read between the fluxuations? Or should I be doing something different?
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-04-2016, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepmor
Hi yall, not exactly new here but I don't post much. I'm riding an 88 600. I've got a question about using sync gauges. The needle kind. I bought the bike about 2yrs ago and had carbs rebuilt but never synced on bike. Ran just ok. Any finally took carbs apart to up the jets and figures it was about time to sync'em. So i bought a 4 gauge sync kit. Hooked it all up and warmed up engine. Opened valves and the needles are fluxuating wildly. Is the idle too low? Hard to tell what my idle is because I have a digital "vaporŽ" tach that reads impedance across plug wire and the wires are capacitated. Don't know if that matters.
So to the point. Should just I read between the fluxuations? Or should I be doing something different?
Thanks in advance.
i have the same type. It sounds like you have opened the valve for each guage too much. Try closing each one just until the needle bouncing goes away and see if that helps.

Old 03-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
i have the same type. It sounds like you have opened the valve for each guage too much. Try closing each one just until the needle bouncing goes away and see if that helps.
Why thank you. That totally did the trick. Went like butter after that.

Old 03-05-2016, 01:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a common mistake because we don't sync carbs that often...I did the same thing the first time.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 311 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisgb
It's a common mistake because we don't sync carbs that often...I did the same thing the first time.
Exactly correct. That's how I knew what the issue was. I've had the exact same issue when I first started using mine.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hamlin6
i have the same type. It sounds like you have opened the valve for each gauge too much. Try closing each one just until the needle bouncing goes away and see if that helps.
I have mercury gauges. That set uses an orifice in each line between the carbs and mercury columns. The orifices are about the dia. of a human hair. I figure if I had to make a set using needle type gauges, I'd head down to the fish store and get some of those valves that control the air flow to the filters or air stones. I figure if I barely crack the valves open, I'd get the same results.