CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?

Dear all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post. It looks like a great place to get help and advice.

I have a CBR600 1990 vintage. The poor thing was in a pretty sorry state when I got it, but I'm gradually getting there with putting her back together. However I have run into a bit of a problem, and I wondered if anyone could help me. I am trying to reassemble the TRAC mechanism - sadly however some of the parts between the caliper hanger and the actuating valve are missing. I looked at the fiche on bikebandit.com to try and identify the parts that I am looking for, but still can't identify them.

Basically, to try and explain a bit more; the bottom part of the hanger has a horizontal hole in it (obviously, I guess) and this must attach to the valve / piston on the fork leg via some kind of linkage. It's this linkage that I don't have, and I don't even know what it looks like. If I could get some close up pictures of this, or if someone would be good enough to try and identify the correct parts on bikebandit's fiche system... well, I would be very grateful!

I've indicated on the attached image (found on the net, not my bike) the problem area..

Thanks

Richard

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?-cbr600f_trac.jpg  
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 PM

hi i had to deal with mine once when i pulled my brakes a few years ago i think its also refered to as the ati-dive mechenism. anyways there should be a pice sticking out of your shock with a horizontal hole through it, in that hole is a small pice of pipe (about 3/8 diameter and half an inch long) it must act as a bearing for the pivoting motion when the break is engaged. so it sounds like these are the two pices you are missing, i could not find them in bikebandit either. these pices atach to you hanger with a bolt that goes through everything. ill try to get a picture but my bike is crammed in a shed and i may not be able to get to it.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:43 AM

Try the front brake caliper schematic, part 11-labeled "bracket-L"
Or you pm me your email and I will email these photos for you to mark exactly what is missing.
Then, repost those photos and we can tell you what is missing. I have some excellent photos in my factory manual.
Or download your very own factory manual at this site.....http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-54.html
Or post your own pics.
I need more info. I hope all of this info is helpful to you.

Attached Thumbnails Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?-january-2010-004.jpg   Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?-january-2010-005.jpg   Can anyone help me with my TRAC system?-january-2010-006.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Micah
hi i had to deal with mine once when i pulled my brakes a few years ago i think its also refered to as the ati-dive mechenism. anyways there should be a pice sticking out of your shock with a horizontal hole through it, in that hole is a small pice of pipe (about 3/8 diameter and half an inch long) it must act as a bearing for the pivoting motion when the break is engaged. so it sounds like these are the two pices you are missing, i could not find them in bikebandit either. these pices atach to you hanger with a bolt that goes through everything. ill try to get a picture but my bike is crammed in a shed and i may not be able to get to it.
The piece that is sticking out of the fork leg at the moment has a hole in it about 1/8 in diameter but I think this might be an alien piece.. not really sure. I'd send a picture of what I have but the fork leg is off being refurbished at the moment. If you do manage to get some pics that would be great, if it's too difficult to get to, don't worry :-)

Old 01-29-2010, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Billistic
Try the front brake caliper schematic, part 11-labeled "bracket-L"
Or you pm me your email and I will email these photos for you to mark exactly what is missing.
Then, repost those photos and we can tell you what is missing. I have some excellent photos in my factory manual.
Or download your very own factory manual at this site.....http://www.cbrextreme.com/downloads/...manual-54.html
Or post your own pics.
I need more info. I hope all of this info is helpful to you.
Thanks for this. I looked at the schematic again tio check part 11. I believe this is what I would refer to as the 'caliper hanger' but if it is a left bracket then so be it! Anyway, I have that part, being the one that the caliper itself attaches to. I have the pivot bolt that goes through the roller bearing also. What I think I am missing is whatever attaches the lower part of the 'bracket' to the valve mechanism.

I'll send you my email and I can hopefully indicate on your pics what's missing..? Thanks for the link to the repair manual by the way, I have been looking for one of those. Downloading now!

Richard

Old 01-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Default I think I have resolved this now

Hello to everyone who helped me in this thread....

I think I have resolved this problem. Basically I have not had all of the parts in the same place at the same time (still don't, actually), and my mental picture of the assembly was warped to say the least. I have been looking for a part that doesn't exist - the bolt at the bottom of the lh caliper bracket just passes through a hole in the end of the TRAC piston assembly, and that's all there is to it.

Apart from my feeling a bit stupid (what - AGAIN, already?) it looks like all is well after all. Deepest gratitude to anyone who took time out for this!

- Richard

Old 01-30-2010, 09:54 PM

That's why we're here. Glad you figured it out.