CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

bike has no power.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bike has no power.

my 88 hurricane 600 has been having problems for months now.

I first noticed something was wrong when i went to my first track day in the spring and the bike would not make any power past 5000 rpm. i would have to short shift just to keep up.

in first it would reach about 8 or 9 thousand but progressively my revs went lower for each gear and i had a top speed of 120 kilometers an hour or about 75 miles per hour.

everything before this i remember the bike being ferocious all the way to the redline before i but it away for the winter.

i thought the carbs were dirty so I cleaned and soaked them multiple times. On the 4th time ripping apart the carbs because i wasn't getting results I messed up the up the air fuel screws because the srewdriver didnt have enough clearance to screw straight in and i damaged the 2 inner air fuel screws cross threading them possibly.

I guess i'm insane for trying the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

I think i'm going to need a new set of carbs just so i can be sure its not my carbs and is something else.

I pulled my plugs and noticed they had light black dust/carbon on them but also noticed a whitish color on them.

i thought the bike was running lean but is there anything that causes a bike to preform poor in the high rpms which is not carb related. i'm going to be needing some parts for sure. \\

I just hope i can fix this so i can take the bike to a ride down to costa rica this winter.

Last edited by anil_zx3; 08-29-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:35 PM

Have you checked your air filter?

It sounds like your bike can't get enough air and is running rich, which would result in the carbon on the plugs.

Good reference for reading your plugs.
Spark Plug Analysis

Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by comodidit
Have you checked your air filter?

It sounds like your bike can't get enough air and is running rich, which would result in the carbon on the plugs.

Good reference for reading your plugs.
Spark Plug Analysis
i cleaned and checked it. i even ran it without a filter. without an air box. with 2 filters. no results.

i'm starting to think this is something intermittent.

i would say all 4 plugs were carbon fouled. they looked exactly like the picture.

Basically, soft, sooty carbon deposits, as shown below, have a dry, black appearance. If only one or two plugs in a set are fouled, it is a good practice to check for sticking valves, a cracked distributor cap, or bad secondary ignition wires. Fouling of the entire set might result from an incorrect heat range spark plug or an over-rich air/fuel mixture caused by a clogged air cleaner filter element, a sticking heat riser valve, or a faulty choke. Fuel injectors that malfunction can also lead to this condition.
Other causes include weak ignition system voltage or an inoperative pre-heating system (carburetor intake air) or poor cylinder compression.

Last edited by anil_zx3; 08-29-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:38 PM

how would i test for weak ignition system. rev the hell outa the bike and see if it hurts less as i rev.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Banned

Costa Rica sounds like a great ride. Where are you at?

Sorry for obvious questions but, here we go.

Are getting plenty of gas?
Do you have a inline filter? It could be plugged up.
Do you hear a vacuum sound when you open the gas cap? If so, the tank vents plugged.
Check for a kinked fuel line?

Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 AM

i took the fuel line off the carbs and turned on the ignition and the fuel pours out like a river.
\

im in toronto

Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 AM

does that bike have a fuel pump or is it gravity fed only i had a similar problem which i guess was kinda rare according to some mechanics cause my fuel pump was only working at half capacity (it was dieing basicaly) the rarity they said is that fuel pumps usually work or dont not much inbetween cases. also you said there was some white build up on the plugs too, are you running race fuel? if you are you shouldnt unless your bike is built for it cause its not doin you any good, race gas is leaded and dirty will clogged up the filter and other things, how are your coils are they carrying current i didnt read that you tested the plugs are they actually sparking, that almost sounds like a spark problem if you getting fuel thru and the carbs are cleaned and synced and getting air then spark is next, something electrical start at the plugs and work your way back plug, coil, etc..

Old 08-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
does that bike have a fuel pump or is it gravity fed only i had a similar problem which i guess was kinda rare according to some mechanics cause my fuel pump was only working at half capacity (it was dieing basicaly) the rarity they said is that fuel pumps usually work or dont not much inbetween cases. also you said there was some white build up on the plugs too, are you running race fuel? if you are you shouldnt unless your bike is built for it cause its not doin you any good, race gas is leaded and dirty will clogged up the filter and other things, how are your coils are they carrying current i didnt read that you tested the plugs are they actually sparking, that almost sounds like a spark problem if you getting fuel thru and the carbs are cleaned and synced and getting air then spark is next, something electrical start at the plugs and work your way back plug, coil, etc..
I was noticing i was getting weird voltages from the relay so i hot wired it to give it a full 13 plus volts. i hear it run continually till it pressurizes the lines. i took the hose off the carbs and covered the hole with my thumb and turned the ignition on. the pump would start then shut off when pressure was reached. i would let my thumb off and pump would start spraying fuel everywhere. i even used it to pump the gas in to a gallon jug Jerry can to cycle it and still i haven't had any results.