CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1990 CBR600F Starting Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009 | 04:57 PM
|
Exclamation 1990 CBR600F Starting Issues.

Greetings folks,

My apologies in advance for my lack in knowledge regarding my bike. I've spent a few hours online researching this issue, always finding myself directed back to these forums.

I've had the bike a couple weeks. Drove it around and home just fine, but after a few snow storms and change(s) in weather, it hasn't wanted to start for me since.

The problem:

When turning the key over and hitting my start switch, it attempts to turn over, but no go. The battery sounds as if it's going to die after trying 6-7 tries, at which point I stop.

Now the inherit difference is that I do not hear what I believe is the Solenoid clicking (as it was when I first purchased it, which would click if I just had the key in the ignition, if I understand the point of the Solenoid altogether), and after a few attempts I stop. I can wait a few hours and go back out and my first attempt it almost starts.

Now my first thought was the battery. So, in turn, I took it in to be tested at Autozone, where they trickle charged it and told me the battery was fine. Should I believe them?

I hooked my bike up directly to my car and was able to start the bike while it was hooked up, however, it did not maintain stable enough to run.

This brings me back to my initial thought regarding possibly the Solenoid having gone bad.

Thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-2009 | 12:21 PM

i dont think its your solenoid. if it was bad, it wouldn't turn over jumping it off a car. its sounds more like a bad starter taking too many amps to turn the bike over. start with cleaning ALL the electrical connections to the battery, and starter, and any grounds. i like to use scotchbrite, but sandpaper will work too. make sure all terminal connections are clean and shiny.

Old 04-08-2009 | 08:11 AM
|

Originally Posted by tripicana
i dont think its your solenoid. if it was bad, it wouldn't turn over jumping it off a car. its sounds more like a bad starter taking too many amps to turn the bike over. start with cleaning ALL the electrical connections to the battery, and starter, and any grounds. i like to use scotchbrite, but sandpaper will work too. make sure all terminal connections are clean and shiny.

Thank you for the response. I got the bike running. I jumped it off of my car, not it starts up without a problem. I just don't think it likes cold weather.

Old 04-08-2009 | 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by virtusjunxit
I just don't think it likes cold weather.
Hell, I don't either...