CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got my drivers seat yesterday off Ebay. $23 with free shipping and I had $10 in Ebay Bucks so cost me $13! No rips or tears and cleans up nice. Trying to get all the parts for the tail so I can start on that.

The front is almost done. Still need the ram air ducts and the proper windshield. The one I got with the fairings is a 2005-06 which is different.

Would like to get this all fitted so I can tear down the bike and get the frame, swing arm and wheels powder coated.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:12 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking forward to this

Old 01-16-2013, 04:56 PM

Got the rear seat today. Now all I need is the tank side plastics and I can start on the tail :-)

Old 01-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey dennis,
ok so im gonna play dunce here and ask because I'm curious. Im looking at ebay right now at fairing kits and whatnot, what all will I need to get this done? the fairings are a no brainer, but will my original tank work? How about fitting the seat, or have you gotten there yet? Do you use the upper fairing stay for the 03 rr for the front fit? I was kind of assuming you did but I just wanna make sure before I start pricing and looking for parts.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Cobra,

If you look at my "how to" above in this thread and click the links to the pictures I explain the fairing stay mounting. Yes I used the RR fairing stay. There is no way to use the Hurricane fairing stay without extensive modification and it still might not work.

I am working through the tail conversion now and will post "how to" on that as I get into it, but there is much more info on that on the web. I plan to do it a little different than most of the others tho. I don't like all the bolt on parts and the way most guys built up the back for the passenger seat. I am going to try and notch the sub frame and bend it up so the mounts for the RR seat are simpler. I will weld the notches once I get it in position.

As far as parts, I keep buying more. You will need the fairing stay, headlight assy., tail light assembly, seats, turn signals, mirrors, gauges (don't think the Hurricane ones will fit), other plastic parts if not included in your kit, like the side parts by the tank and the ram air ducts in the front.

Yes the Hurricane tank will work. I plan to fill the area at the seat so it blends in better.

Last edited by dennisgb; 01-16-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:10 PM

Dude you are dooing so good....man I really want to see the how to for the tail (subframe modding), just because of your thread I'm really pondering the idea of getting some new fairings and update my cbr f3 which will be getting a 95 900rr engine soon .

Old 01-19-2013, 09:02 AM

tuchavito.

Thanks, it's really fun to see the transformation. That's what keeps me going. Right now things are sort of tedious, doing small refinements and waiting for rear seat and side plastics by the tank so I can start on the tail. I want this to look professional when I'm done so taking the time to do it right. You should do your bike, it will look awesome.

I worked on finishing the fit for the gauge cluster and finished the fit of the left side upper ram air filler piece yesterday. I also did some plastic repair on the lower left fairing because the mounting hole was broken out.

Here's a left side picture. Difficult to get this shot because the room I'm working in is small.

Left Side | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I didn't think the Hurricane gauge cluster would fit, but I was able to get it in there and got everything to clear. The jury is still out as to whether I will leave the old gauges or update them. Concern is the mechanical speedo. I have a Vapor digital that I was going to use for another project that I could use, or might do some other type. The Hurricane gauges fit, but not sure I like the look. Let me know what you guys think.

Dash Cluster | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I do have most of the mounts complete for the front fairings, and once I get the left lower fitted and do some mods on the right lower, I'm pretty much ready to start on the tail. I did some pre-work on the tail and it looks like my strategy to cut the sub-frame and bend it up and weld will work. From what I can see this is a better choice than cutting it off. Even though the angle will be a little off it will be easier to mount the rear fairing and seat. The one thing I can't really tell is whether it will interfere with the tailight. I will post details on the tail conversion once I start it.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:55 AM

Your bike is looking good. I'm interested in seeing how you modify the rear subframe. I tried to cut and bend my original frame by cutting and bending for my original build but it weakened it so I cut it off and made a new one. What would really make your transformation look good would be to replace the stock gauge cluster with this KOSO-RX1N

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM

Ben - I like that Koso. Was looking at that but the price is pretty spendy. Maybe...

Cutting and bending the subframe should work because I will MIG weld it. Seen too many conversions where they did not weld and cut off the back of the subframe. Then fabricated a bunch of brackets to build it back up. That doesn't make sense to me. When I look at the subframe It looks like it could be moved up and then the seat mounts could tie right into it. The mounting points for the rear fairing also look pretty simple if the frame was moved up. The welded frame should be stronger than the fab mounts I have seen online. Trying not make this a hardware store erector set-up. That just doesn't look like the best way to go on this. Sorry to all those who have done it this way, but I want it to be strong and look like it was made that way.

***UPDATE***

My rear seat arrived! Now all I need to start the tail conversion is the side panels. This is a must have because those side panels set the angle at the fairing, front seat and tank. Very critical to get the right fit on this so it looks like it was supposed to be there.

He's a shot of the seats on the rear fairing :-)

Here's how I want the rear fitment to look when done...only the bike will be black :-)

Can't wait to start the tail conversion.

Last edited by 74demon; 04-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Yeah it is a pricey gauge which is why I dont have it yet but it is a very good gauge. I understand not wanting to make the hardware store erector set. I welded mine when I tried it for my original build but it just flexed too much for and I didnt trust it. I'm a better welder now so the results might be different for me today. When I got the gsxr tail for my new build I just got the matching subframe and made mounts I figured why reinvent the wheel so to speak. I cant wait to see the finished product though I like the looks of how your bike is turning out.

Quick Reply: 1987 Hurricane to 2003 CBR600RR Conversion